[NEohioPAL] **Testimonial from our student, James Leonello**

Edward Niam taichicleveland at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:27:58 PDT 2014

I just wanted to share my story about how tai chi is helping me to overcome
the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis (OA)…

For five years I had been taking a daily dose of anti-inflammatory drugs
(NSAID) for the symptoms associated with arthritis, joint pain and
stiffness. Although the NSAID did alleviate the symptoms, they did not
improve the condition. In fact, during the period of time I was taking
them, I had been steadily losing the range of motion in my hip until even a
two foot high garden fence in my yard became a nearly insurmountable
obstacle. The pain in my joints had increased to the point where I was only
able to take my dog on very short walks before having to stop. A simple
thing like getting in and out of the car was becoming a challenge. The
turning point for me was when my doctor recommended total hip replacement
surgery. I decided that I needed to try something other than the standard
treatments.

Sometime near the end of winter I stumbled across the Tai Chi Institute-USA
website. They were offering evening classes in my area and the instructor,
Sifu Edward Niam has outstanding credentials, so I decided to give it a
try. That first class was an eye opening experience for me. We started with
leg and core muscle strengthening exercises. It made me realize just how
weak my leg muscles had become. I was a little wobbly the next day, but I
kept at it. Walking through the tai chi form I immediately realized why so
many professionals are recommending it for people who suffer from OA. I can
only describe it as feeling like I was oiling a rusty door hinge, so to
speak.

In the short period of time that I have been practicing the tai chi
exercises I have noticed a considerable improvement in my hip flexibility.
I have stopped taking the prescription NSAID and am instead focusing on tai
chi as a means to alleviate the symptoms of OA. In fact, I feel better now
than I did while taking the NSAID. That garden fence is no longer
insurmountable to me, and I am taking my dog on longer walks again. As for
the hip replacement surgery, well, that will just have to wait for another
day.

*J Leonello*
--
*Tai Chi Institute USA*
*~The Movement of Life~TM*
taichicleveland at gmail.com

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
 but by the moments that take our breath away."