[NEohioPAL] LIVING NEWSPAPER PROJECT

Tessa Gaffney via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Jun 23 21:28:20 PDT 2014

The Federal Theatre Project was a product of the Works Progress
Administration, a program created to reemploy theatre workers during the
Great Depression. It was intended to establish local theatres offering free
or low cost entertainment to the masses and encourage the production of
native plays and original techniques.

Federal Theatre was to be “free, adult, uncensored theatre, relevant to
modern life, experimental artistically, reflecting the social and economic
forces of the contemporary world.” The most well-known art form that
emerged from the project was the Living Newspaper, a series of plays ripped
right out of the headlines of the day intended to inform audiences and
incite discussion about the state of the country.

In this tradition, EraAir Theatre Company is accepting submissions of
performance pieces reflecting our current social order. We would like to
create our own Living Newspaper of plays, musical acts, skits,
dances—whatever you think exemplifies what it’s like to be alive right
here, right now. Please contact our Director of Theatrical Production at
tmg343 at gmail.com if you are interested in participating!

Tessa Gaffney
EraAir Theatre Company
www.eraairtheatrecompany.org