[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS for Jesus Christ Superstar at Near West Theatre

Kelcie Dugger via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jul 3 11:04:17 PDT 2014

This fall, in 2014, Near West Theatre will be between homes. We left the St. Patrick's Club Building in June, and our new $7.3 million theater in the Gordon Square Arts district is not quite completed. But we're still doing shows! We are thrilled to announce an explosive production of one of the most popular musicals of all time, Jesus Christ Superstar, presented in the historic West Side United Church of Christ, located at - well, at West 38th Street and Bridge Avenue, Cleveland. Does that sound familiar? It should! It's literally across the street from our old St. Pat's home of 3 ½ decades. For three weekends in November and December, and for rehearsals all fall, the people of West Side UCC are opening their beautiful church to Near West Theatre. We will transform this space of stained glass and intricate wood carving into a theatrical rock venue.

Jesus Christ Superstar, the king of rock operas, was created at the end of the turbulent 60's with a social and political rebel at its center. Jesus' meteoric rise to fame provides, as the title suggests, a parallel to contemporary celebrity worship. Judas sings, "If you strip away the myth from the man, you can see where we all soon will be," prophesying centuries of controversy that would surround this one man, his life and his identity. Propelled by a stirring score that is driving and majestic, satirical and tender, JCS illuminates the transcendent power of the human spirit. This show startles the mind with its relevance and social implications.

Sure to sell out! Our production will feature a large cast of children, teens and adults.

Experience the convergence of lead guitar, pipe organ, pews, passion, percussion and provocation.

Auditions:

Tuesday, Sept. 2, Wednesday, Sept. 3, and Thursday, Sept. 4, 2014

Ages 7 to 12:  6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Ages 13 through adult:  7:30 to 10:00 p.m.

Audition Location: West Side United Church of Christ - 3800 Bridge Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113

Relaxed, friendly, group-oriented atmosphere. No experience required. Dress for movement. Arrive 15 minutes early to register.

Nine performances only, Nov. 21 through Dec. 7, 2014:

Friday, Nov. 21 - 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 22 - 7:30 p.m.

(No performance Thanksgiving Day)

Friday, Nov. 28 - 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 29 - 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, Nov. 30 - 3 p.m.

Thursday, Dec. 4 - 7:30 p.m.

Friday, Dec. 5 - 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 6 - 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, Dec. 7 - 3 p.m.

Near West Theatre Info

Phone Number: 216-961-9750

Email: info at nearwesttheatre.org<mailto:info at nearwesttheatre.org>

Business Office: 6216 Detroit Ave., STE 9, Cleveland, OH 44102