[NEohioPAL] Lakeland Civic Orchestra Director's compositions featured on CD by world-renowned pianist, recital Aug. 31

Jessica Novak via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Aug 27 05:52:58 PDT 2014

Lakeland Civic Orchestra Director's compositions featured on CD
by world-renowned pianist

Recital slated for Aug. 31 in Youngstown

KIRTLAND, Ohio - Aug. 27, 2014 - Piano compositions by Lakeland Community
College Civic Orchestra Director, Dr. Matthew Saunders, are among the
music featured on the latest CD by world-renowned musician Avguste
Antonov's entitled "An American Journey." The Bulgarian-born pianist is
best known for his specialty in the performance of works from living
composers.

Dr. Saunders’ music on the CD is from a set of his piano pieces called
"Starry Wanderers." Each piece depicts one of the planets in the solar
system from a scientific and popular culture sensibility. Antonov recorded
three of Dr. Saunders' pieces: "Venus;" "Earthly Hope;" and "Stillness at
the Edge" (Pluto).

A recital will feature the repertoire from "An American Journey" and is
slated for Sunday, Aug. 31, at 4 p.m. at Sts. Peter and Paul Church (now
Holy Apostle Church), 421 Covington Street, in Youngstown, 44510. A CD
release party and reception follows the performance. The recital,
reception and party are free and open to the public.

In addition to orchestra director, Saunders also serves as the academic
chair for Lakeland's music department in the division of Creative and
Liberal Arts. He is an accomplished composer with many commissioned pieces
to his credit.

"I wrote the music in 2008 and Avguste has been playing it in concerts
around the country over the last three years," said Saunders. "He has also
performed my piano sonata from 2010. Last October, he was commissioned to
be the soloist in the premiere performances of my piano concerto with the
University City Symphony Orchestra in Missouri, and the Orchestra of the
Alleghenies in Pennsylvania. I am deeply honored and humbled to have such
an accomplished musician bring my work to audiences across the country."

Previously, Dr. Saunders was at the Oklahoma Panhandle State University
where he was awarded tenure as an assistant, and then associate professor
of music and director of bands. He also served as the department's music
chair. Additionally, he has six years of experience as a middle and high
school teacher and band director. Saunders received his bachelor's,
master's and doctorate degrees in musical composition from The Ohio State
University.

###