[NEohioPAL] Backstage tours, prize drawings, and more at Saturday's OPEN HOUSE at the Ashtabula Arts Center

Pam Hammond via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Sep 10 10:41:24 PDT 2014

Ashtabula Arts Center

2928 W. 13th Street, Ashtabula, OH 44004                  (440) 964-3396

Contact: Pamela Hammond, Marketing and Public Relations Director

 <mailto:phammond at ashtabulaartscenter.org> phammond at ashtabulaartscenter.org
<http://www.ashtabulaartscenter.org> www.ashtabulaartscenter.org

September 9, 2014

For Immediate Release

Kill Date: Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ashtabula Arts Center kicks off "Fill the House with Laughter" Campaign

On Saturday, September 13 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. an Ashtabula Arts Center
Open House will feature the kick-off of the fall "Fill the House with
Laughter" audience rebuilding campaign.  Filled with free activities and
events, all the public is invited to attend the Saturday event. The
Ashtabula Arts Center is located at 2928 W. 13th Street in Ashtabula.

"Just as other businesses in the area were hurt by the recession," says
Executive Director Lori Robishaw, "the arts throughout Ohio have also
suffered, and we have been particularly hard hit here in Ashtabula County.
Because of that, we're asking all of our audience members-those who
appreciate the arts and want to see them remain a vibrant, affordable, and
locally accessible part of our community-to help us rebuild.

"Beginning at our Saturday Open House, we will be offering a 'buy two, get
four free' ticket deal for the opening weekends of our two fall productions,
Little Shop of Horrors and Laughter on the 23rd Floor.  Most ticket
purchasers are buying two tickets anyway. All we ask is that they use their
four free tickets to bring friends and family who are unfamiliar with the
arts center and everything we have to offer."

The fall theater season will open on Friday, October 3.  Little Shop of
Horrors tells the story of Seymour, a flower shop worker who stumbles across
a new plant that he names Audrey. Audrey soon turns out to be a carnivorous
handful of trouble because she craves and feeds on blood. And Seymour soon
discovers that she's planning to take over the world! Written by Howard
Ashman and Alan Menken, Little Shop of Horrors will play on October 3-5,
10-12, 17-19.

Then, Neil Simon's Laughter on the 23rd Floor is a favorite that fills the
house with roars of laughter wherever it plays. The script was inspired by
one of Neil Simon's first jobs as a comedy writer for Your Show of Shows
which aired in the early 1950's.  His play relives the hilarious antics that
took place as the writers battled with network executives who were afraid
that their humor was too sophisticated for American audiences. Laughter on
the 23rd Floor plays on October 31-November 2, 7-9, 14 & 15.

Both shows play on Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m.

"If you have never been to the arts center, if you've not been here for a
while, or if for some reason you feel that the arts center 'isn't for you,'
I encourage you to stop by and check us out," adds Robishaw. "A part of our
new campaign is to make sure the arts center remains accessible to everyone
in the county. Our artistic staff is working hard to develop new activities
and classes that will excite people of all ages.  And for those who may not
have the means to pay all of the class fees, we want to help with that too.
Financial aid forms are available and can be picked up at the front desk."

In addition to selling the special ticket packages, Saturday's Open House
will be filled with free and fun activities for all the family. Ohio State
Representative John Patterson will give opening remarks at 11:30 a.m.  Other
activities will include live music, face painting, watercolor and pottery
demonstrations, dance demonstrations, free popcorn, a screen printing demo,
"mini" henna tattooing, backstage tours, and other hands on projects for
kids and adults. Visitors can also see what goes on being-the-scenes while
our young ballet dancers work through an early rehearsal of The Nutcracker.

Drawings for door prizes will be held every half hour.  Visitors should fill
out an entry form upon arrival. Winners must be present to win.  Prizes will
include: a voucher for a free arts center fall class of the winner's choice
valued up to $91 (five drawings will be held); a pair of season passes to
opening weekends of G. B. Community Theatre's 2014 - 15 season valued up to
$135 per pair (5 drawings will be held); a pair of tickets to the opening
weekends of The Nutcracker and next May's Spring Dance Concert valued up to
$68 per package (5 drawings will be held); and miscellaneous gift items.

The arts center's gallery will be displaying an art exhibit by national fine
art photographer Sandra Gottlieb, sponsored by Huffman Mayer Wealth
Management Group of Wells Fargo Advisors.  The photography exhibit organized
through Katharine T. Carter & Associates is entitled "Waves in Black and
White," and shows stunning views of waves crashing a secluded beach off the
Atlantic coast.

A barn quilt painting demonstration will also be held in conjunction with
the dedication of the arts center's new "barn quilt" which is now on display
on the arts center's grounds as a part of the upcoming Ashtabula County Barn
Quilt Trail.

Visitors to the Open House can also purchase lunch. The arts center
concessions stand will be open throughout the event selling hot dogs for $2
with all other concession items being just $1 each.

For more information contact the front desk at (440) 964-3396.

The Ashtabula Arts Center is funded in part by the Ohio Arts Council.

###