[NEohioPAL] Act, Sing, Dance or Make a Monster! Weathervane (AKRON)

Weathervane Playhouse via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Sep 12 11:45:59 PDT 2014

*Youth Theater Classes*

*FALL 2014*

*Saturdays, Sept. 20 to Nov.22*

Weathervane Playhouse1301 Weathervane LaneAkron, Ohio 44313

*WeathervanePlayhouse.com/youth*

*Imagine THAT!*
The Wizard of OzAges 3 to 5

Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.

*Lions and tigers and bears… oh my! This class specializes in storytelling
through creative movement, improvisation, dramatic play and music. Students
will create designs for the stories they bring to the stage, and have fun…
traveling wherever imaginations are willing to go!*

*Places, Please!*

Ages 5 to 8

Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

*The show is about to start… Places Please! Is that a monkey I hear
chattering at a little old lady? Wait! It’s a Martian from another planet
explaining how to work a toaster! …and what is Little Red Riding Hood doing
arm in arm with a Ninja? It’s just students exploring the creative world of
theater! This introductory class is a fun way to explore wacky characters,
exciting stories, and learn the basics of performing on the stage.*

*Star Struck (WAIT LIST)*

Ages 8 to 11

Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.

*Is your child sure that they are the next iCarly?  Have you heard every
funny story the Disney Channel can dream up?  Don’t fret… send them to be
stars of the stage at Weathervane!  We will gladly take all the drama.
Your child will work with our instructor to hone their dramatic talents.
They will learn how to give and take focus, analyze a script to identify
story structure elements and character objectives and use it all to tell a
clear story; beginning middle and end!*

*Enter Stage Right*Ages 11 to 14

Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.

*To be or not to be, here is the question… Are you ready to tackle comedy
and tragedy? Take a turn as Hamlet’s ghost or poor tormented Juliet. Try
your hand at “Who’s on First?” Can you build the laughs like Abbott and
Costello? Get ready to Enter Stage Right and learn to take dramatic risks
within each scene by working with a character’s inner monologue. These
methods for developing and connecting to a stage character makes the funny
funnier and drama… even more dramatic!*

*Musical Theatre, Act One*

Prerequisite: *Introduction to Theatre* is suggested.
Ages 5 to 8

Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.

*Gotta sing, gotta dance?  Gotta take Musical Theater! Our Musical Theater,
Act One class takes our entire core curriculum and puts it to music. Sing
and dance your way through some Broadway standards. Move over **Kristin
Chenoweth and **Matthew Morrison… here comes the next Broadway star!
Students will work on musical theatre skills through group singing,
creative and choreographed movement, rhythm notation, and sight reading
with solefege.*

*Musical Theatre, Act Two*Prerequisite: *Introduction to Theatre* is
suggested.
Ages 8 to 12

Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.

*Not quite ready to pack it up and move to New York?  Looking for a toe
tapping good time? Come sing at Weathervane in Musical Theater: Act Two.
This class covers the objectives in Act, and challenges experienced
students through more complex choreography and music theory. In addition to
Act One goals, students will work on solo singing, notes on the treble
clef, notes on a keyboard, rhythmic performance and healthy singing
technique.*

*Beginning Broadway Tap*

*Prerequisite: Tap shoes required*
Ages 7 to 12

Saturdays, 12:15 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.

*Intermediate Broadway Tap*

*Prerequisite: Tap experience required, tap shoes required*
Ages 10 to 14

Saturdays, 1:15 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

*Are your toes feeling blue? Let Weathervane help you tap your troubles
away!  Classes focus on teaching basic technique and steps to make the
students familiar with tap for the stage.  We will “shim-sham” and “shuffle
off to buffalo” in this fast paced class.*

*Create a Movie Monster!*

Ages 12 to 18

Saturdays, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Tuition $200

*Create a movie monster and introduce it in a film! Design Godzilla, a
Rancor, a T-Rex or something completely new! These are the same design
techniques used to create the "Tin man" costume for this summer's
production of "The Wizard of Oz." *

*Students in this class will learn creative design process, puppetry
construction and creation, simple mechanics, working with clay, Styrofoam,
wire and more, painting techniques, story structure and filming techniques.
Students will create a monster puppet, write a script and film a monster
movie trailer. Trailer will be premiered at Weathervane and posted to
Weathervane's Facebook and YouTube accounts.*

Taught by Dane Leasure MFA, SDC and Jonathon Hunter, MFA, Stan Winston
School of Character Arts

*WeathervanePlayhouse.com/youth*

*#*