[NEohioPAL] Magnificent Einstein Portrayal at Actors' Summit

Stephen via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jan 23 08:04:48 PST 2015

By David Ritchey

DOWNTOWN AKRON —

Albert Einstein (1879-1955) was one of the most influential people to move to the United States as the rumblings that became World War II began to cause
upheavals in Germany.

A world-renowned physicist, Einstein received the Nobel Prize in 1921. After
he escaped from Germany, Hitler and the Nazis, he moved to the United States and
taught at Princeton University. His research and a letter to President Franklin
Roosevelt resulted in the creation of the atom bomb.

“Einstein,” a play about his life, is playing at Actors’ Summit Theater
through Feb. 1. Any success of this production must start with credit to
playwright Willard Simms. Simms has a reputation for writing one-person shows,
which include: “Poe!” (Edgar Allen Poe), “Wright from America” (the Wright
brothers) and plays about Leonardo da Vinci and St. Francis of Assisi. He also
wrote eight episodes for the TV series “Family.”

After the opening night performance, several audience members groused because
the Einstein character didn’t explain enough about physics or didn’t tell enough
about certain parts of his life. As the script stands now, the performance runs
about 90 minutes and explained more than the uninformed (like me) could grasp.
Could audiences really sit through a longer, more detailed show?

This is a one-man show and Brian Zoldessy, as Einstein, held the audience in
the palm of his hand for the full performance. He was magnificent. I’ve seen
Zoldessy, an accomplished actor, in other productions. In “Einstein,” the
playwright gave him a tour de force role. The theater doesn’t get much
better.

Yes, Simms rushes over Einstein’s private life and barely mentions his two
wives and his son. He focuses on Einstein’s career and his contributions to
American culture.

The setting for “Einstein” is an office/sitting room. The set is strewn with
bookcases filled with books. Behind Einstein’s desk is a blackboard covered with
formulas. Einstein has invited us (the audience) to join him for a discussion.
Einstein wants to explain why he isn’t a Communist and why he should not be
called the father of the atomic bomb. Of course, he touches on other topics.

Zoldessy in makeup and hair looks much like the popular photographs of
Einstein. Yet, when Zoldessy speaks, he embodies the character.

Director Neil Thackaberry and Zoldessy, Simms and Einstein bring us a
wonderful evening in the theater.

Don’t let the subject of this play or the one-person format cause you to miss
a wonderful evening in the theater.

Personally, I don’t like the one-person format. However, Einstein and
Zoldessy held my attention and my interest from the first line to curtain
call.

Unfortunately, “Einstein” has a short run. On opening night, the theater was
almost filled to capacity. For ticket information, call 330-374-7568.

David Ritchey has a Ph.D. in communications and is a professor of
communications at The University of Akron. He is a member of the American
Theatre Critics Association and the Cleveland Critics
Circle.