[NEohioPAL] Review of "The Call" at Dobama Theatre

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Oct 26 08:26:38 PDT 2015

Dobama’s thought-provoking ‘The Call’ comes collect

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

Technology has certainly made the world a smaller place.  Travesties and triumphs happening in one part of the world can now be experienced from other parts and often in real time and in high definition.

And as the world has become smaller we have become increasingly aware of how our personal choices have broader, perhaps global implications.

We’ve learned that our disposable lifestyle impacts on the world’s ecosystem and the future of our planet.

We’ve become sensitive to the fact that buying foreign products made by child labor reinforces those practices.

We’ve grown mindful of how a single vote can shift domestic policy and shape the world’s politics.

Or have we?

Playwright Tanya Barfield thinks not.  And her drama “The Call,” which premiered Off-Broadway in 2013 and is currently on stage at Dobama Theatre, serves as a wake-up call.

For more of this review, go to www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/.