[NEohioPAL] An unsolicited opinion- Titanic the musical

Melissa Day-Miller via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Apr 12 08:28:31 PDT 2017

Soon we will be at the 105th anniversary of the sinking of the "largest moving object in the world". 105 years ago thousands of men and women gathered on the Titanic, sailing for America, unaware that more than half of them would not finish the journey.

Going into a show knowing how it's going to end sometimes clouds an audience's vision, but Titanic is something special and this production is no different.

I was excited from the very beginning when I sat in my seat and saw the simple yet detailed set. The porthole doors looked awesome and there was even a crow's nest! Then I noticed the railings on the steps leading onto the stage and realized that the passengers would be "boarding" through the audience and I could NOT wait.

The lights came up, the show started and I was hooked from the beginning. The band sounded awesome-loaded with strings and hauntingly beautiful and well blended. However, because most of the cast did not wear body mics, sometimes they overpowered the singers. For the most part, the costumes are stunning. There was a costume or two that seemed to be a bit lazy, especially in contrast the the vast majority of accurate and beautiful costumes. The lighting design was exceptionally effective, highlighted in act 2 by the stark beauty of "stars" shining behind the ship as it sank.

Right off I was in love with Neil Scheibelhut as Andrews. He is strong but not overbearing in the role, appealing effectively to the humanity of the character, urging us to cheer for him and his masterpiece-even if we do know how the story ends. Alongside him is Don Disantis, who looks and embodies the role of Captain EJ Smith, and Kevin Kelly as Bruce Ismay-imposing, forceful, a little sneaky, and so very very well performed. Of course, everyone's favorite song in the show goes to supporting actors Jacob Wadenpfuhl and Robert Kowalewski as Barrett and Bride singing the beautiful duet "The Proposal/The Night Was Alive". These two delightful tenors don't just sing marvelously but create a strong contrast to each other with their equally brilliant portrayals of their respective characters.  Kowalewski also plays Wallace Hartley, and while his voice seems to soar more naturally in Bride's tenor range, his baritone in "Autumn" is just as stunning.

Other supporting characters who deserve to be recognized for their performances include Stuart Landes, who expertly conquers the demands of the quietly dynamic Murdoch;  the unflappable and perfectly cast Joel Fenstermaker as head of waitstaff Etches; the very talented Tony Heffner as Fleet (whose "Iceberg, right ahead" sent chills down my spine) and David Turner, who is charming as second class passenger Charles Clarke. There are a few casting choices that don't quite fit and most of the actors using accents are inconsistent or not even close to sounding authentic. Some staging was unclear as well. At one point, the bellboy went running for safety and was halted by another crew member, then minutes later he was standing with the captain to update him on the loading of the lifeboats. Another confusion was the large number of actors playing several roles while not always being clearly defined as to their purpose in the scene.

In a show like this, where the progress so heavily relies on everyone working together to tell the story, I also must call out the brilliant ensemble work. First of all, as Madeline Astor, Kristina Zielinksi gets very little stage time yet manages to leave a lasting impression. You don't forget dazzling stage presence like that. Did I mention she really IS 7 months pregnant? Did I also mention that she DANCES (while 7 months pregnant) in the show's one dance number and is simply radiant? Simply wonderful.  I must also point out, without saying or singing any solo lines, 3rd class ensemble Tara Corkery managed to skillfully capture my attention with her lovely and hopeful storytelling in "Lady's Maid". Later, this same actress broke my heart with her genuine desperation when she tried to run to safety. When Pitman (Anthony Salantino) dragged her back (1st and 2nd class first!), both seemed to unravel at the realization of what is going to happen to them. And then when triple threat Sydney Stone (Kate Murphy) comforts them (and adorable bellboy Chase Zadd), I was sobbing. This scene is already SO devastating watching the men leave their wives (and children) but I loved how many stories were being told at the same time. Everywhere I looked there were hearts breaking and lives about to end and every single person on that stage was 100% engaged and dedicated to telling this story. THIS ENSEMBLE IS BEAUTIFUL.

The very best thing about this show is the tight bond between the actors. It is apparent to the audience that this cast genuinely cares for each other and for the memory of those they are representing. There was so much affection on that stage that, while I am saddened by the tragedy, my heart was so very moved by the deep connection between each member of this cast. I don't know what Ms. Netzband does to build a show family like this, but it affected me greatly. Incredible work.

Do NOT miss this show. It runs through April 23rd. No show on Easter.

Melissa Miller