[NEohioPAL] Young Jean Lee Seeks Interview Subjects from Cleveland Area

Young Jean Lee via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sat Aug 26 08:02:43 PDT 2017

Hi! I’m doing research for a Broadway-bound play that I am writing about
Cleveland. I'm trying to talk to a variety of Cleveland residents about
their lives so that my characters feel like real people who live in
Cleveland, and I can get the details right. I’m looking for people who
exactly fit the descriptions at the bottom of this email, to do hour-long
phone interviews, for which I can pay $25.

If you or anyone you know might be eligible and interested, it would be
great if you could pass along their info or have them contact me at
youngjeanlee.nyu at gmail.com.

Also below is an article about me and my work, a link to my website, and my
bio.

Thank you!

Best,
Young Jean

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/real-gone-girl
www.youngjeanlee.org

YOUNG JEAN LEE is a writer and director who has been called “the most
adventurous downtown playwright of her generation” by the New York Times
and “one of the best experimental playwrights in America” by Time Out New
York. She has written and directed ten shows in New York with Young Jean
Lee's Theater Company, and toured her work to over thirty cities around the
world. Lee has received a Guggenheim Fellowship, two OBIE Awards, a Prize
in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, a PEN Literary
Award, a United States Artists Fellowship, a Doris Duke Performing Artist
Award, a Doris Duke Artist Residency, and a Foundation for Contemporary
Arts grant. Her play Straight White Men will have its Broadway debut at
Second Stage in 2018. Her newest play Safety Net, will be set in Cleveland
and is a Broadway commission from Second Stage. She teaches at Stanford and
Yale.

ELIGIBLE INTERVIEW SUBJECTS

WHITE MALE AROUND THE AGE OF 30
Currently living in Cleveland
Single, no kids
No college or community college degree
Does work involving manual labor

WHITE FEMALE IN HER LATE 40s
Currently living in Cleveland
Worked in service jobs all her life (not managerial)
Has kids

MEXICAN-AMERICAN MALE AROUND THE AGE OF 20
Born in the U.S., parents immigrated from Mexico
Unmarried, no kids
Currently attending college in Cleveland
Parents do not have college degrees

BLACK FEMALE IN HER MID-TWENTIES
Currently living in Cleveland
College degree
Parents are unable to offer any financial support
Starting out in entry level management job

BLACK MALE AROUND THE AGE OF THIRTY
Currently living in Cleveland
No college or community college degree
Working in a service job such as security guard, custodian, maintenance,
etc. (not managerial)

LATIN AMERICAN WOMAN ANY AGE
Immigrated to the U.S.
Currently living in Cleveland
Works in housekeeping
Either doesn't have children or doesn't live in the same city as her
children

WHITE MALE POLICE OFFICER ANY AGE
Currently living in Cleveland.

BLACK FEMALE POLICE OFFICER ANY AGE
Currently living in Cleveland.

ASIAN-AMERICAN FEMALE AROUND THE AGE OF FORTY
Currently living within an hour’s drive from Cleveland
Has a college degree
Works in the arts and/or academia

BLACK MALE AROUND THE AGE OF 40
Currently living within an hour’s drive from Cleveland
Upper-middle-class to wealthy