[NEohioPAL] University of Akron Theatre Production of The Skin of Our Teeth

Arts Administration administration.arts at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 11:44:01 PDT 2017

*The Skin of Our Teeth *explores themes of humanity’s resilience in the
face of destruction.

Akron, OH — The University of Akron (UA) Theatre program continues its
season with *The Skin of Our Teeth *by Thornton Wilder. As the first
Mainstage Production of the new theatre program, *The Skin of Our Teeth*
features a diverse cast of 18 UA students from various majors at the
university.

Performance dates are October 26-28 & November 2-4 at 7:30PM and October 28
& November 4 at 2:00PM — Sandefur Theatre in Guzzetta Hall, 157 University
Ave. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for UA students. For
tickets, email administration.arts at gmail.com or call the ticket office at
(330) 972-7895. For more information, visit uakron.edu/dtaa/performances.
Akron theatre alumni are encouraged to attend the production on Alumni
Night, October 27, where they and a guest will be admitted for the student
price of $5. The November 4 matinee will be part of Fall Drama Day, a high
school recruitment event.

2017 marks the 75th anniversary of *The Skin of Our Teeth*. Written in 1942
in the midst of WWII, the play is a three-part allegory about humanity’s
resilience centered around the Antrobus family. Wilder’s Pulitzer
prize-winning play incorporates elements of satire, burlesque and
interactive theater as it careens from Akron OH, to the Ice Age and beyond.
James Slowiak, UA Professor of Theatre and director of the production,
chose the play because it addresses a wide range of political and social
themes, including racism, the refugee crisis, climate change and war. *The
Skin of Our Teeth* comments on human survival and ethnocentrism in the face
of disaster, natural and man-made.

The Theatre Arts Program at The University of Akron equips undergraduate
and graduate students with a broad knowledge of theatre arts and
fundamental practical skills in order to prepare them to address the
emerging issues and challenges of the theatre profession and a diverse and
vibrant society. The Theatre Arts Program provides high quality educational
and artistic experiences that enhance the cultural lives of all students at
The University of Akron, as well as the residents of the greater Akron
community and the Northeast Ohio region.

--

*Graduate Assistant*
School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration

Website: uakron.edu/dtaa <http://www.uakron.edu/dtaa>

Facebook: facebook.com/TheArtsStartHere
<http://www.facebook.com/TheArtsStartHere>

Instagram: *instagram.com/artsstarthere/
<http://instagram.com/artsstarthere/>*

Twitter: twitter.com/ArtsStartHere