[NEohioPAL] Akron Symphony to present Petrushka with Neos Dance Theatre on Feb. 9

Thomas Moore tom at akronsymphony.org
Tue Jan 30 05:59:33 PST 2018

Good morning:

Here is a submission for the daily digest. This is our first submission, so please let me know if anything is missing.

The Akron Symphony Orchestra welcomes Neos Dance Theatre and The University of Akron's Dance Institute to the stage for Petrushka on Feb. 9 at 8 p.m.

The performance will take place at The University of Akron's E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall.

The first half of the evening will feature Berlioz' Roman Carnival Overture and Nino Rota's La strada from the 1954 Federico Fellini film of the same name.

For this premiere of Petrushka, Robert Wesner, Neos' artistic director, takes a different direction with the ballet. While remaining true to the questions the original production raised about how we, as humanity, find purpose for existing, the vision for this performance is to reflect on who the characters are today.

The work of the late Mikhail Fokine, a groundbreaking Russian choreographer and dancer, inspired Wesner to strip the world of Petrushka down even further from its now deemed "traditional setting" and allow each character within the ballet to build the archetype of greater self-awareness.

As Wesner "tips his hat" to certain elements of the original story and characters, the larger purpose of the new production dwells within the whirling marvel of Stravinsky's score, and the freedom it allows all listeners to hear within it their own life story. In many ways, as we move through the ballet we are all Stravinsky's puppets.

The characters will be portrayed by Neos' dancers Matthew Roberts (Petrushka), Kaleb Reilly (Moor), Brooke Wesner (Ballerina), Mary-Elizabeth Fenn (Magician), Carson Sandiford-Hoxie (Dancing Bear), Juliana Freude & Anna Trumbo (Soloists), and the Townspeople will be portrayed by members of The University of Akron's Dance Institute.

A Preview from the Podium, featuring Maestro Christopher Wilkins discussing the evening's program, will begin at 7 p.m.

Following the concert, the Akron Symphony will hold an After Party at Jilly's Music Room, located at 111 N. Main St. The After Party will feature drink specials and live music. There is no cover charge.

Single tickets for Petrushka start at just $25. Tickets are available online or by calling the Symphony Box Office at 330.535.8131.

E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall is located at 198 Hill St. on the campus of The University of Akron. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

-30-

Thanks and have a nice day.

Thomas Moore
Director of Marketing