[NEohioPAL] Swing dance at the Lithuanian Club on Saturday, August 25th

Valerie Salstrom info at gethepswing.com
Wed Aug 22 22:22:05 PDT 2018

What? DJed Swing dance hosted by Get Hep Swing featuring Steffanie Schilling, Corrie Holliday, and Loreto Agdinaoay.

When? Saturday, August 25th

Where? The Lithuanian Club, 877 E. 185th Street.
There is a parking lot behind the building and you may also park in the Key Bank or Post Office lot. Please use the entrance behind the building on the far left. Look for the Get Hep Swing sign.

The Lithuanian Club has air conditioning, a full bar on the main level, free strawberry infused water, and an elegant ballroom on the second floor.

Dance lessons? Yes. Corrie Holliday and Loreto Agdinaoay will teach a beginner-friendly jitterbug lesson from 8pm-9pm.

Is there a DJ or a band? We have three amazing DJs spinning from 9pm-12am.

August 25th features Steffanie Schilling, Corrie Holliday, and Loreto Agdinaoay for your DJed dancing

The DJs play a fun mix of music that is suitable for a variety of styles of swing dance including - jitterbug, Lindy, Balboa, Charleston, Collegiate Shag, St. Louis Shag, Carolina Shag and old-school West Coast Swing. The DJs will mix it up and keep everyone happy and on the dance floor. You can expect straight up big band swing from the late 1920s until the early 1950s, jump blues, R & B, Motown, Soul, and traditional jazz. Want to hear a particular song? Send us a request and we will see what we can do.

Who can attend? Everyone is welcome.

Do I need previous dance experience? No

Do I need a partner? No, we rotate dance partners during the lesson. If you prefer not to rotate during the lesson please help direct the other dancers past you each time we rotate.

What do I wear? Wear comfy shoes that allow you to pivot and turn easily. Wear clothing that makes you feel good about yourself. It is normal to get a little warm and sweaty while you are dancing. Please dress accordingly and perhaps bring a small towel and/or an extra shirt to change into.

What is the cost? $12 per person. $5 for Get Hep Swing first timers.

Over 150 people attending each month and attendees have a variety of dance experience (including none) and come from all walks of life and ages. You will not need to bring a dance partner. We rotate partners during the dance lesson. How often do you get to meet 50-100 new people in under an hour? We provide the highest quality swing dance instruction from some of the nicest, most patient people you will ever meet. Our staff includes regional, national, and international swing dance competitors (and winners) in multiple swing dance forms.

We welcome anyone to join us who has an interest in dance, music, socializing and fun. We don't care what your physical ability or size is, where you are in life, where you are on the spectrum of sexual or gender orientation, what color or creed, or non-creed, you are. Are you a man who wants to learn how to follow or a woman who wants to learn how to lead? That's cool! This idea is not new to the swing dance scene. We are the easiest club to join. If you have an interest, you are in. :)

We love spreading the gospel of swing dancing and we are excited to share the language and culture of this truly American, urban folk dance form with you. It is important for us to let you know that this dance style started in the African-American ballrooms of Harlem, New York in the late 1920s/early 1930s. This dance has a gritty earthiness that is incredibly empowering, beautiful, and joyful. We can't wait for you to experience this conversation of dance with us.

We make learning to partner dance easy and enjoyable. Please join us the second Friday of every month at the Lakewood Masonic Temple and the last Saturday of every month in the East side. (East side locations are in flux right now. Please keep an eye on our Get Hep calendar and Facebook page.) We are hoping to have our September dance at the Lithuanian Club.

Please see www.GetHepSwing.com for the most up to date information on dances, bands playing at the dances, classes, private lessons, school programs, performances and special topic workshops.

For more info, please email Valerie Salstrom; the owner of Get Hep Swing, at info at gethepswing.com