[NEohioPAL] "Pirates of Penzance" Sailing to Hudson Players Stage

Durbin, Mark H. durbinm at firstenergycorp.com
Wed Apr 3 10:32:50 PDT 2019

Don't Miss This Timeless Musical Treat!

Hudson Players Present

Gilbert & Sullivan's

"The Pirates of Penzance"

Or the "The Slave of Duty"

Show dates are : April 26, 27, May 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 17 & 18
at the Barlow Community Center, 41 South Oviatt Street in Hudson
Tickets are available at www.hudsonplayers.com<http://www.hudsonplayers.com/?fbclid=IwAR223eSTcoHx2DdQR6P8zjALYIledH6-_NERA1Xftedj1k_c1i_4Gv8oVx8> or call the box office at 330-655-8522.

The Pirates of Penzance; or, The Slave of Duty, is a comic light opera in two acts, with music by Arthur Sullivan and libretto by W. S. Gilbert, the first superstar songwriting duo in musical theatre history.

The Hudson Players' version is the one that was presented on Broadway in the early 1980s by Joseph Papp and the New York Public Theatre, starring Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline, on which the subsequent movie was also based.

Compared with traditional productions of Pirates, Papp's version featured a more swashbuckling Pirate King and Frederic, and a broader, more musical comedy of singing and humour. It did not significantly change the libretto, but it used a new orchestration and arrangements that changed some keys, added repeats, lengthened dance music and made other minor changes in the score.

Filled with swashbuckling pirates, sweet young lovers, and bumbling policemen, Pirates of Penzance is as popular now as when it premiered at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in New York City on 31 December 1879, where the show was well received by both audiences and critics.

Set during the time of Queen Victoria, it involves the dashing young Frederick (played by Logan Soland), an orphan who as a baby was mistakenly apprenticed to a pirate instead of a "pilot."  Having reached the age of 21, Frederick is released from his servitude and immediately falls in love with the beauteous Mabel (Anna Popa), daughter of Major General Stanley (Brian O. Jackson).

Alas, the young lad learns from his nurse maid Ruth (Norene Jones) that he was born on February 29, which means he only has a birthday in a leap year - once every four years.  Since he is a "slave of duty," Frederick realizes he must be a pirate for another 63 years until his obligation is fulfilled, with the chaste Mabel agreeing to wait for him faithfully.

Stir in the flamboyant Pirate King (Bradley Hills), his simpleton assistant Samuel (Gary Maher), Mabel's songbird sisters Kate (Jessica West), Edith (Kiara Durbin) and Isabel (Ellie Kelly), the Sergeant of Police (Eric Oswald) and his goofy posse, Pirates of Penzance is a slapstick-filled night of entertainment for the entire family.

Other daughters, pirates and constables include Hallie Mihalek, Tenley Stitzer, Mike Turle, Judah Callahan, Nathan Hill, John Holcepl Sr., Hazel Hutchins, Glen Johnston, Jennifer Matas, Jerry Schaber, David Sherman and Jim Wolf.

The show is directed by Mavis Jennings, with Ron Jones serving as musical director and Kristian Korsgaard as choreographer.  The producers for the show are Dana Harro and Gary Maher.

One of the most well-known songs from "Pirates of Penzance" is I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General

(Imagine this being sung very, very fast......)

I am the very model of a modern Major-General
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
He is the very model of a modern Major-General
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin"
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat"
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy
Strategy, strategy, strategy, I got it
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
He is the very model of a modern Major-General!

Make plans now to come here this song - and many others - in person!

For information about Pirates of Penzance go to www.hudsonplayers.com<http://www.hudsonplayers.com>, or call the Hudson Players box office at (330) 655-8522 for more information.

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.