[NEohioPAL] Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland offers Inspiration & the Feeling of Beauty workshop (5/18 & 5/19)

Ray Caspio - Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland michaelchekhovcenter at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:13:10 PDT 2019

*TELL ME ABOUT MICHAEL CHEKHOV CENTER CLEVELAND! *
Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland is committed to the art of the actor
through explorations of the psycho-physical processes illuminated by
Michael Chekhov. Through educational offerings for artists and performances
within the community, we explore what it means when the actor is the
theatre.

*WHAT ARE WE EXPLORING?*
Inspiration: Where does it come from? Beauty: What is it? How does
increasing our truthful, playful access to both deepen our rehearsal and
performance work? This two-day easeful exploration will focus on Chekhov’s
principles of The Feeling of Beauty, Expansion/Contraction, and Atmosphere
to explore these questions through the engagement of our imagination and
the movement of our physical bodies.

*WHEN DO WE EXPLORE?*
May 18 and 19, 2019
10:30am-2:30pm
You must be able to attend both days.

*WHO IS THIS FOR?*
This exploration is open to a maximum of eight performing artists (ages 18
and up) both new to or with experience in the Michael Chekhov Technique.
Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland exists for the performer-artist interested
in growing their imaginative capabilities and embodying that imagination
with ease; for the performer-artist curious about what is true for them in
this moment rather than what might be perceived as “right” or “wrong.”

*THAT'S ME! WHAT SHOULD I BRING?*
Please wear clothing and shoes you are comfortable moving in since we
discover experientially with full-bodied movement over academically. Have
two to three minutes of character text that you enjoy memorized. Bring a
water bottle, a notebook, and a writing instrument. There will also be a
break long enough each day for you to eat a snack. Cross the threshold into
the space with a spirit of openness, play, and curiosity to discover for
yourself how you can apply the Michael Chekhov technique to your own
artistry.

*WHERE DO WE MEET?*
Art On Madison
14203 Madison Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
Plenty of free parking is available on Madison and nearby side streets.
Meters do not run on weekends.

*WHERE DO I REGISTER?*
http://www.raycaspio.com/michael-chekhov-center-cleveland-classes/inspiration-and-the-feeling-of-beauty

*WHAT IS MY INVESTMENT?*
$100.00 for eight hours of exploration.

*ANY OTHER DETAILS ABOUT MY INVESTMENT?*
No refunds after April 28th unless the session is canceled by Michael
Chekhov Center Cleveland. In the event you must cancel after April 28th,
you will receive 75% Credit good for one year toward a future offering from
Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland. Please register by May 15th. If you plan
to register after that date, please e-mail michaelchekhovcenter [at] gmail
[dot] com with your intention.

*I’M AN LGBTQ ARTIST AND WANT TO JOIN YOU, BUT FIND MYSELF NEEDING
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. CAN YOU HELP?*
Absolutely! MC3 is a safe space for you to explore and work. If you’re
interested in any of our class offerings and find yourself in extreme need
of financial assistance, please open a discussion by e-mailing Ray (me!) at
michaelchekhovcenter (at) gmail (dot) com detailing your situation and
proposed need, and we’ll find a solution together! I’ve been there. I get
it. And I want to make sure this technique is accessible to you. This offer
is for LGBTQ-identifying artists only and your inquiry must be received no
later than May 10th.

*HOW IS THE CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE APPROACHED?*
The Michael Chekhov Technique is a holistic, psycho-physical approach to
performance that synthesizes the actor's body and psychology. You discover
how the magic of your movement, in tandem with your imagination and feeling
life, has the ability to enliven the spaces within yourself and the spaces
around you. Solo and ensemble explorations in movement, concentration,
atmosphere, and gesture increase your flexibility, honesty, joy, and ease
as a performing artist. You learn to free your body as a conduit for the
soul of your character. Your Creative Individuality is supported and
nourished, and your artistic work becomes more inspired.

*WHO LEADS THE EXPLORATION?*
Ray Caspio creates beautifully grotesque characters whose comedic allure
invites you into their queer realities, where they unpack American culture
and scrutinize the multifaceted manners in which we relate to  each other.
His work recognizes the immediacy and impermanence of performance by
embracing theatre as a living event. Who is in the room  matters. The work
becomes as alive as we are: conscious, truthful, and existing in that
moment when we all gather to play. Ray is a performance artist, teaching
artist, actor, and the Founder and Artistic Director  of Michael Chekhov
Center Cleveland. He has created pieces spanning  theatre, cabaret,
installation, web, and personal storytelling; served as performer-creator
in numerous devised pieces; and originated over 30 roles. His live work has
been performed at Playhouse Square, Dobama Theatre, Cleveland Public
Theatre, convergence-continuum, Playwrights Local, Talespinner Children’s
Theatre, Theater Ninjas (Associate Artistic Director 2012-2015), and the
Cleveland Museum of Art. Caspio appeared on Best of Theatre lists for
Cleveland Scene Magazine (2014 & 2017) and WCPN/NPR’s The Sound of Applause
(2014, for the conception and performance of the immersive cabaret
exploration of gender, sexuality, and marriage equality, TingleTangle).  In
2014, he was profiled as Scene’s “Thespian”. Ray’s training consists of the
Michael Chekhov technique (Michael Chekhov School, Hudson, NY;  MICHA: the
International Michael Chekhov organization), Bouffon  (Giovanni Fusetti),
Eccentric Performance (Avner Eisenberg & Julie Goell), the Alba Method, and
Improvisation and Comedy Writing (Second  City Chicago). Caspio has taught
for Playhouse Square, Disney Musicals-in-Schools, Cleveland Play House
Theatre Academy, MetroHealth Arts in Medicine, and the Cleveland Museum of
Art. Ray received a 2016 Creative Workforce Fellowship.