[NEohioPAL] Jazz Manouche concert, swing dance, & swing dance lessons with Get Hep Swing Friday, August 9th in Lakewood - $5 for first-timers

Valerie Salstrom info at gethepswing.com
Thu Aug 1 07:26:04 PDT 2019

Get Hep Swing presents - A swing dance party with Moustache Yourself.

When? Friday, August 9th from 8pm - 12am

Where? The Lakewood Masonic Temple, 15300 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107

Dance lessons? Yes. Join us for a jitterbug lesson that is appropriate for dancers of all levels from 8-9 with Get Hep Swing owner and swing dance champion, Valerie Salstrom.

You do not need to bring a dance partner for the lessons or the dance. We rotate partners during the lesson. If you prefer not to rotate dance partners, we are okay with that too.

Band? Moustache Yourself will entertain you with all of your favorite swing dance tunes played in a Jazz Manouche style from 9-12.

Moustache Yourself plays in a jazz/swing style that was made popular in France in the 1930s. Hot club jazz, or by the French name, "jazz manouche” is a style of jazz music made famous by guitarist Django Reinhardt. Reinhardt was heavily influenced by ragtime and Dixieland music and found special inspiration from Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

Hot club swing standards include jazz hits of the '20s and '30s, original compositions by Django Reinhardt, such as "Nuages" and "Minor Swing"; compositions by other notable musicians of this style; and jazzed-up versions of manouche songs, such as "Dark Eyes." Much of the repertoire is in minor keys, lending a distinctively dark sound to the tunes which contrast with the lively performance style.

It's infectious rhythm and exotic but familiar melodies will capture your soul and transport you to a different time and place.

Check out the band at http://moustacheyourself.wixsite.com/moustacheyourself

Who may attend? EVERYONE is welcome! Come and listen to the band, hang out, take the dance lesson, dance a little, socialize. Please invite your friends and share this event.

What do I wear? Wear comfortable shoes that allow you to pivot and turn easily. Attire is casual and comfy. Wear what makes you feel good about yourself.

What is the cost? $12 per person. $5 for first-time attendees. No pre-event ticket sales. Pay cash at the door.

We welcome anyone to join us who has an interest in dance, music, socializing and fun. We don't care what your physical ability or size is, where you are in life, where you are on the spectrum of sexual or gender orientation, what color or creed, or non-creed, you are. Are you a man who wants to learn how to follow or a woman who wants to learn how to lead? That's cool! This idea is not new to the swing dance scene. We are the easiest club to join. If you have an interest, you are in. Basically, we aren't jerks, if you are, stay home. :)

We love spreading the gospel of swing dancing and we are excited to share the language and culture of this truly American, urban folk dance form with you. It is important for us to let you know that this dance style started in the African-American ballrooms of Harlem, New York in the late 1920s/early 1930s. Yes, we do pay homage to vintage swing dance forms however, our way of thinking and actions are progressive, liberal, and very open-minded. You will find swing dancing incredibly expressive, empowering, beautiful, and joyful. We can't wait for you to experience this conversation of dance with us.

We make learning to partner dance easy and enjoyable. Please join us the second Friday of every month at the Lakewood Masonic Temple and the last Saturday of every month at The Lithuanian Club.

Please see www.GetHepSwing.com for the most up to date information on dances, bands playing at the dances, classes, private lessons, in-school and after-school residencies and programs, performances, and special topic workshops.

For more info, please email Valerie Salstrom; the owner of Get Hep Swing, at info at gethepswing.com