[NEohioPAL] Auditions for HELLO HERMAN!!

Avenue Arts Marketplace & Theatre avenueartstheatre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 06:14:35 PDT 2019

Avenue Arts Marketplace & Theatre announces auditions for HELLO HERMAN

Located at 324 Cleveland Ave. NW Canton, Ohio 44702

SYNOPSIS: Video games, violent movies, Marilyn Manson, the Internet, Prozac, or fame? What moves a teenager to cross the line and become a high-school shooter? More importantly, how do we stop it? Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Lax Morales is looking for a follow-up to his groundbreaking undercover piece on white supremacists. Although his video blog has an unprecedented online following among teens, Lax has been written off as Internet trash by the elite of the publishing world. He needs a big story and he knows it. After killing thirty-nine students and three teachers in a suburban Iowa school, sixteen-year-old Herman Howards takes the time to email video clips of the incident to his idol, Lax. He adds one line to the clips: "I want to tell my story on your show." The public pushes for Herman's televised execution as Lax conducts three days of interviews, using every tool at his disposal to discover what drives the current poster-boy for evil. HELLO HERMAN is a mind-blowing examination of how tragic events like Columbine and Virginia Tech continue to happen in our country. No stone is left unturned as Lax searches for an answer to the question everyone's been asking but no one has been able to find: Why?

Hello Herman is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York.

Directed by: Emerson Thoenen

Auditions will be held on Tuesday, August 27th and Wednesday, August 28th from 7-9pm
Callbacks (if necessary) will take place on August 29th.

To sign up for auditions, please go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0c4bafa82ca3fe3-hello <https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0c4bafa82ca3fe3-hello>

All auditioners are asked to come prepared to cold read from the script. We also ask that you bring a current headshot and resume with you to auditions.

At this time, there are no stipends and/or AEA contracts being offered!

Rehearsals will begin on September 1st and generally run Sunday-Thursday evenings

Performances: October 11th, 12th, 18th, and 19th at 8pm and October 13th at 2pm

IMPORTANT: Due to adult language and situations, individuals under the age of 18 must have a parent accompany them to auditions - permission slip required!

CHARACTERS:

Herman Howards (Male, 16-20) - High school student obsessed with making a name for himself as the greatest school shooter to go down in history. Killed 42 students and faculty in his high school and has no remorse.

Lax Morales (Male, 30s) - New reporter with a troubled past interested in interviewing Herman and giving him his 15 minutes of fame.

Sheyla Duvall (Female, 30s) - News reporter interested in getting to the bottom of the story. Has a romantic past with Lax.

Chet Clarkson (Male, 40s-50s) - Host of the TV Show "Chet's Chat". Very right wing. Very interested in seeing Herman put to death.

School Guard (Male, 40s) - Guard that was on duty the day of the shooting - was on his lunch break.

Moose (Male, 40s) - White supremacist that Lax was affiliated with during his days in Georgia.

Marsha (Female, 16-20) - Girl from school that pretends to be nice to Herman.

Little Boy (Male, 8-10, African American) - Young child killed in Georgia - haunts Lax in his dreams.

Senator John Cox (Male, 30s) - Senator of the town. Believes Herman to be a terrorist.

Gail Howards (Female, 30s) - Herman's mother.

Michael Green (Male, 16-20) - Student, football player, jock. Bully to Herman

Mr. Phelps (Male, 40s-50s) - Teacher, the only person Howard regrets killing. Kind and caring to Herman.

Jim-Carl (Male, 40s) - White Supremacist that Lax was affiliated with during his days in Georgia

Michael Ray (Male, 16-20) - Student. Bully to Herman. Friends with Michael Green.

Paul Schruber (Male, 16-20) - Student, captain of the football team

Ms. Cribb (Female, 20s-30s) - Teacher, killed in the shooting.

Susan (Female (16-20) - "Bitchy" student, killed in the shooting

Children's Aid Society Rep (Any Gender, 30s)

Little Herman (Male, 10-12) - Herman, younger age

Julia Howards (Female, 8-10) - Howard's little sister

Sean Gall (Male, 40s) - White Supremacist that Lax was affiliated with during his days in Georgia.

Dougie-Dogg (Male, 40s) - White Supremacist that Lax was affiliated with during his days in Georgia.

Timmy (Male, 16-20) - Student, interviewed by Sheyla. Rough and tough, doesn't want to be blamed.

Frank Howards (Male, 30s) - Howard's father.

Bartender

Executioners

FBI Agents

High Schools

Reporters

***Doubling may be possible, if needed***

Avenue Arts Marketplace and Theatre is a CLEan House Theatre. This means we are committed to being a space free of harassment based on sex, gender, race, religion, class, ethnicity, nationality, political belief, or ability. We are committed to being a safe environment that fully allows us to challenge ourselves, our audiences, and our communities; that supports creative risks of mind and body; and that establishes the freedom to create theatre that represents the full range of human experience.

All questions should be directed to avenueartstheatre at gmail.com <mailto:avenueartstheatre at gmail.com>