[NEohioPAL] Review of "Summer: The Donna Dummer Musical" at Playhouse Square

Bob Abelman r.abelman at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 15 22:09:26 PDT 2019

Now is the ‘Summer’ of our discontent, on tour at Playhouse Square

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

In the film “The Martin” starring Matt Damon, astronaut Mark Watney is left for dead on the surface of Mars, but he is very much alive. While salvaging through the things his colleagues left behind in order to assess his resources for survival, he comes to realize that his only source of music is Commander Lewis’ vast collection of disco.

“I’m definitely going to die up here,” Watney tells his video journal. “My God, Commander Lewis, couldn’t you have packed anything from this century?”

If you attend the newly touring “Summer: The Donna Summer Musical” – a bio-musical about the life, times and tunes of the late-1970s/early-1980s disco icon – and are not a huge fans of the music or the artist, you will certainly relate to Watney’s sense of cultural deprivation.  But even disco enthusiasts will find that, like Mars, there is a lung-compressing absence of atmosphere and not nearly enough gravity in this one-act roughly-100 minute minor work by co-writers Colman Domingo, Robert Cary and Des McAnuff, who also directs.

For more of this review, go to: www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/bob_abelman/