[NEohioPAL] The Alloy Orchestra to accompany two shows at the CINEMATHEQUE! "Metropolis" and "Gallery of Monsters"

Genevieve Schwartz gbschwartz at cia.edu
Mon Oct 21 08:12:48 PDT 2019

FYI, these films show next week at the Cleveland Institute of Art Cinematheque, 11610 Euclid Ave. Admission $20-$15; CSU I.D. holders and those age 25 & under $15-$12.

Wednesday, October 30, at 7:00 pm

The Alloy Orchestra accompanies

METROPOLIS

Germany, 1927, Fritz Lang

Roger Ebert called Boston's Alloy Orchestra "the best in the world at accompanying silent films." Tonight this internationally known trio of musicians-Terry Donahue, Roger Miller, Ken Winokur-perform their signature score, lending their distinctive mix of clarinet, accordion, electronics, and junk metal percussion to Fritz Lang's visionary sci-fi spectacle. It's been six years since the Alloy performed in Cleveland, and tonight marks the band's first appearance in our new Peter B. Lewis Theater. We will show the 2010 restoration of Lang's futuristic epic, which is 25 minutes (and 25%) longer than the previous "complete" version of the movie. Set in a gleaming futuristic city where the wealthy lead aboveground lives of luxury while worker drones toil on massive machines underground, Metropolis chronicles a robot-led revolt that threatens both classes. Thrilling, visually staggering, and prophetic, Metropolis is made even more memorable by the Alloy Orchestra's electrifying score! English intertitles. DCP. 150 min. Special admission $20; members, CIA & CSU I.D. holders, and those age 25 & under $15; no passes, twofers, or radio winners.

https://www.cia.edu/cinematheque/film-schedule/2019/10/metropolis

Thursday, October 31, at 8:00 pm

New Digital Restoration!

The Alloy Orchestra accompanies

GALLERY OF MONSTERS

LA GALERIE DES MONSTRES

France, 1924, Jaque Catelain

The Alloy Orchestra's newest score is for a forgotten but recently unearthed and restored silent melodrama produced (and perhaps co-directed) by visionary French filmmaker Marcel L'Herbier (L'Inhumaine). Anticipating Tod Browning's Freaks by eight years, this visually dazzling movie follows a young couple who run away to join the circus, only to run afoul of the cruel and despotic owner when the wife refuses his advances. Fortunately, the circus' fiercely loyal sideshow attractions (the "freaks") take the couple's side in this destructive labor dispute. Cleveland revival premiere. English intertitles. DCP. 80 min. Special admission $15; members, CIA & CSU I.D. holders, and those age 25 & under $12; no passes, twofers, or radio winners. The Alloy Orchestra's score was commissioned by Indiana University Cinema and the Indiana University Office of the Bicentennial. www.alloyorchestra.com<http://www.alloyorchestra.com>

https://www.cia.edu/cinematheque/film-schedule/2019/10/gallery-of-monsters

Thank you,
Genevieve Schwartz
Cinematheque Assistant Director