[NEohioPAL] JOB OPENING: Cleveland Public Theatre Announces a New Staff Position: Education Director

Caitlin Lewins clewins at cptonline.org
Mon Mar 23 15:08:32 PDT 2020

Cleveland Public Theatre Announces a New Staff Position: Education Director

Cleveland Public Theatre's (CPT) mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking performances and life-changing education programs. CPT seeks an Education Director interested in joining its hardworking team with ambitious goals of growing the organization and changing the community.

For more information, visit https://www.cptonline.org/uncategorized/cpt-announces-a-new-staff-position-education-director/.

Description of Position
The Education Director (ED) oversees CPT's community education programs. The ED reports directly to the Executive Artistic Director and works in collaboration with the wider staff. This position is a year-round, salaried staff position. Salary is very competitive with other TCG Theatres of $1-3 million budgets and commensurate with experience. Benefits included.

The ED position requires a highly motivated servant-leader to implement and evolve the longstanding core education programs: STEP (Student Theatre Enrichment Program), a job training summer theatre creation program for teenagers predominantly from families defined as low-income; Y-Haven Theatre Project, which creates new plays with formerly homeless men in recovery; Cleveland Act Now, a year-round theatre arts program for youth ages 5-14, including Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority Cleveland Act Now (CMHA CAN), an after-school/summer program with youth and families residing in public housing, and Cleveland Act Now Academy, a free after-school/summer program for youth. The ED may also develop new programs or be called upon to undertake short-term pilot projects.

CPT youth programs primarily engage with black and brown youth. Experience in working with communities of color is critical. The ideal candidate will have experience in program management, curriculum planning, teaching, and teacher coaching. A deep background in theatre and education is a must. CPT education programs focus on ensemble, and devising techniques, so a background in these techniques and aesthetics would be a big advantage.

This position requires strong logistics and administration skills, as well as strong management ability, and big-picture leadership. ED oversees program staff which includes full-time, part-time, year-round, and short-term employees, as well as independent contractors. We are especially interested in candidates who are working artists of high caliber. Past Education Directors have served as core artists at CPT as playwrights, directors, and actors, though we anticipate such opportunities would be rare in the first year as the ED gets acclimated and up to speed.

All positions at CPT work across departmental lines, and the ED becomes involved in nearly all aspects of the theatre. The Education Department is very involved in all organization-wide activities such as Station Hope, a neighborhood festival focusing on the triumphs of the Underground Railroad and challenges of current issues of inequity and social justice. As part of the senior leadership team the ED helps shape the future of the theatre.

The successful candidate will be collaborative and eager to learn and lead, and will possess excellent organization skills and a passion to create warm, exciting, empowering community experiences for our programs' participants and families.

CPT cares passionately about reflecting our community and pursuing diversity at all levels of the organization. CPT has a demanding working environment with long, intense hours, but we have fun and love what we do. We value hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure. For applicants considering relocation to Cleveland: our city is an excellent community to live in with top-notch arts and culture, a vibrant theatre scene, beautiful public parks, a great lake, and VERY affordable housing.

Deadline to Apply is March 30th

Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled. To apply for the position, send an email to rbobgan at cptonline.org<mailto:mrbobgan at cptonline.org>. Subject line should read: [LAST NAME], Education Director. The email should include two attachments: a resume, and a two-page cover letter describing your history, passion, why you are interested in this position, and what you have to offer. Candidates may be asked to provide additional materials after original application.

Caitlin Lewins
she / her / hers
Director of Audience Engagement & Media Relations
Cleveland Public Theatre
6415 Detroit Ave
Cleveland OH, 44102
(216) 631-2727 x211