[NEohioPAL] Audition for radio version of DRACULA produced by Lake Erie College

doctor celery doctorcelery at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 09:29:47 PDT 2020

The Lake Erie College Department of Theatre

announces auditions for Dracula by Bram Stoker
based on the 1938 Orson Welles Adaptation
produced and directed by Jerry Jaffe (LEC Prof of Theatre)

We will be conducting auditions for this audio adaptation over the next 1-2 weeks.

Auditions will be by appointment only.  Virtual "Zoom" auditions can be scheduled.  Also, we will gladly accept video submissions.

To schedule an appointment, please contact Dr. Jaffe at jjaffe at lec.edu<mailto:jjaffe at lec.edu>

Auditions will consist of a brief interview AND 2 short monologues.  One will be from the play and the other will be one of your own choosing (20th century British comedy please).  Further details and sides will be provided when you contact us.

All parts are available and casting is open to everyone, students, faculty, staff, and community members.

All casting will be made without regards to gender, race, age, sexual orientation, or disability.  (Please address all questions or concerns to Dr. Jaffe).

All rehearsals will be conducted remotely and with all best practices for social distancing and public health.

We will consider actors who are non-local, but they must be able to match our technical requirements.

These radio performances have several key features that are important to the director.  Good enunciation is a must.  Good pacing.  This play is set in Europe, and all characters have accents, so good dialect skills are a must.  Also, as a melodrama, these performances are very dramatic:  can you portray emotions honestly and vividly but without falling into comic exaggeration?

Here is a summary of the available parts:

Characters:

In order of appearance

*indicates the larger roles

*Dr. Seward-British, aristocratic

*Jonathon Harker-British

Carriage Driver-German

DRACULA'S DRIVER-Romanian

*Dracula-Romanian

*Captain-Russian

Mate-Russian

Hand 1/ 2 –Russian (or any)

*Van Helsing—Dutch (or German or Austrian?)

*Lucy—(British)

*Renfield--(British)

Newsvendor (cockney or British)

*Mina

Various "Voices"

CC Captain (Scottish?)

Mr. Hildesham (European Jew, German or “eastern European accent) )

Old man (eastern European)

(As a radio play, double-casting is a distinct possibility!)

If you are interested in auditioning, the next step is to email Dr. Jaffe at <jjaffe at lec.edu<mailto:jjaffe at lec.edu>>.

"She went down to the pet shop and came back with two alligators. We asked her why she'd got two alligators, and she said they were on sale. Buy one at the regular price and you got another one for a penny. An alligator one cent sale. In its own way it made sense." Richard Brautigan, A CONFEDERATE GENERAL FROM BIG SUR