[NEohioPAL] FREE SUMMER PROGRAM / FALL YOUTH PRODUCTION

Bailey Pfohl BPfohl at nearwesttheatre.org
Mon May 17 08:41:51 PDT 2021

Rise: The Reconstruction Project
Connect. Engage. Inspire. Perform.
Near West Theatre's FREE summer theatre program

Rise: The Reconstruction Project is the second installment of Near West Theatre's summer youth program, returning after the success and impact from last year's Rise: The Isolation Project. This program will culminate in an original work, presented as our Fall Youth Production. Creative youth with an interest in writing, performing, or making connections are encouraged to participate.

FREE to participate
Ages 7 - 16, all experience levels
Registration: May 17 - May 31, through link below
Program Director: Mariah Burks
Rehearsals: Beginning June 13. Sundays 1p - 6p (masked at the theater), Tuesdays and Thursdays 5p - 7pm (on Zoom)
Parent Meeting: June 16
Performance Recording: August 14 - 22

ABOUT RISE
This groundbreaking program is led by master teaching artist, and beloved NWT alumna, Mariah Burks. Students will create original performance pieces that will be filmed and shared virtually in September 2021. This project will revisit a past NWT original production, America through the Looking Glass, based on the tragedies surrounding 9/11 and the stories which have been shaping our world since. Students will work alongside original cast members to explore our connections to a moment in time that shook our nation twenty years ago, and the impact it has had on our experiences of today.

REGISTRATION
Class capacity is 40; applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, with overflow applicants being added to a wait list if the program fills. Follow up emails will be sent to applicants by June 5 letting applicants know of their acceptance into the program.

Registration is two parts, completed through our website. Part one: fill out the registration form. Part two: submit a 2 1/2 minute video responding to the following:

1.       In one minute, talk about a time when you knew that you were going to have the best day ever.

2.       When you hear the words 9/11, what images, words or feelings pop in your mind first?

3.       On your worst day, describe the best version of yourself in 5 words or less.

4.       If you play an instrument, please play no more than 30 seconds of your favorite song or a song you can play well.

Register & upload your video here.<https://www.nearwesttheatre.org/programs/rise-summer>

ABOUT NEAR WEST THEATRE
Near West Theatre has been building community and producing exceptional theatre for over 40 years. All of our youth programming is conceived through a lens of empowerment, inclusion, and love. Family is made here.

Bailey Pfohl (she/her)
Marketing Director
Near West Theatre
6702 Detroit Ave, Cleveland, OH 44102
www.nearwesttheatre.org<http://www.nearwesttheatre.org/>

Near West Theatre builds loving relationships and engages diverse people in strengthening their sense of identity, passion, and purpose, individually and in community, through accessible, affordable, and transformational theatre arts experiences.