[NEohioPAL] James and the Giant Peach Auditions at LCCC Theatre

Jeremy Benjamin lccctheatre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:06:03 PDT 2021

*Audition Notice*

James and the Giant Peach

By Roald Dahl

Adapted by David Wood

Directed by Erin E. Dolan & Stephanie Wilbert

Lorain County Community College and Spark Theatre Company announce
non-equity auditions for our upcoming collaborative production of *James
and the Giant Peach.* We are seeking 6-18 performers and various production
positions for this production. Some actors may play multiple roles and/or
be asked to use a British dialect.

*Available Roles*

·     *James *– Our young hero; from a downtrodden, lonely child he
develops into a brave "captain' of the insect band; he acts as narrator,
too.

·     *Old-Green-Grasshopper *– Elderly, genial, courteous, avuncular,
musical (ability to play the violin a plus); he helps narrate.

·     *Miss Spider *– Occasionally sharp, even a little sinister, but
ultimately kind; her marathon thread-spinning to help save the peach is
truly heroic.

·     *Centipede *– A sparky, cocky, warm-hearted Jack-the-lad.

·     *Ladybird *– Posh though not prissy, pretty though not vain, volatile
though level-headed

·     *Earthworm *– A pessimist, a doom merchant whose standing in the
group and whose self-esteem improves no end, thanks to James.

·     *Other characters*

o  *New York Tour Guide*

o  *Mr. Trotter*

o  *Mrs. Trotter*

o  *Rhinoceros*

o  *Aunt Sponge*

o  *Aunt Spiker*

o  *Old Man*

o  *TV Reporter*

o  *Captain of the Queen Mary*

o  *First Officer*

o  *Second Officer*

o  *Tourists, Visitors, Sharks, Seagulls, Fishes, Octopus, New York
citizens, etc.*

Spark Theatre Company and LCCC Theatre embrace diversity and inclusion and
utilize a non-traditional casting policy. Non-Traditional Casting is a
method designed to increase artistic options by expanding casting
opportunities for women, actors of color, seniors, and actors with
disabilities in roles where race, gender, age or the presence or absence of
a disability are not germane. To that end, we encourage all actors to
audition, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity or physical
ability.

*Other Production Positions Available:*

Those interested in non-performing positions such as run crew, set, lights,
costumes, and stage management are encouraged to attend auditions, but may
also email LCCC Director of Theatre Jeremy Benjamin at
jbenjami at lorainccc.edu to express their interest.

*How to Audition*

Auditions will take place on Sunday, September 19th from 4:00 - 7:00 pm,
and Monday, September 20th from 7:00 to 10:00 pm.  Callbacks, if needed,
will be held on Wednesday, September 22 from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. Please use
the following link to sign up for an audition slot.

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050944A8AF28ABFB6-james1

Actors will be asked to read from the script and to participate in some
group improvisational movement exercises, so come prepared to move. You
will be asked to wear a mask throughout the audition. Please bring a resume
and headshot if possible or be prepared to fill out an audition form and
have your photo taken. Plan to stay for at least half an hour. A copy of
the script is on reserve at the circulation desk of the LCCC Bass Library
for those interested in reading the play.

*Rehearsals*

Rehearsals are scheduled around actor availability October-November 2021.
Masked and in-personal rehearsals will begin Sunday, October 3, 2021.
Rehearsals will be Monday-Thursday from 6:30 - 9:30 pm, with some Sunday
afternoon rehearsals from 4:00 - 7:00 pm. All rehearsals will be masked
with temperature checks.

*Performances*

Performances will take place on Thursday, November 18 and Friday, November
19 at 7:00 pm, and Saturday, November 20 at 2:00 pm in the Cirigliano
Studio Theatre on the campus of Lorain County Community College. There is
also the possibility of a student matinee on Wednesday, November 17 at 9:30
am in the Hoke Theatre, also on the LCCC campus. There is a strong
likelihood that performances will also be masked.

*Spark Theatre Company and Lorain County Community College are committed to
creating this project as safely as possible. As such, we are implementing
the following:*

·     Individual costume fittings with masks and temp checks

·     Temperature and Symptom Checks at all in-person meetings

·     Sanitizing all props, set pieces and frequently touched surfaces
after each use

·     Create an agreed upon COVID Code of Conduct with cast and crew that
everyone is comfortable with.

*Questions*

Please email any questions to SparkTheatre4Youth at gmail.com or LCCC Director
of Theatre Jeremy Benjamin Jeremy.benjamin at lorainccc.edu. Identical
audition info may be found on our website at
http://www.lorainccc.edu/auditions

*“James and the Giant Peach (Wood)”* is presented by arrangement with
Concord Theatricals on behalf of Samuel French, Inc.
www.concordtheatricals.com