[NEohioPAL] Ohio University looking for paid visiting artist/actor for role in new play

Tyler Whidden tylerwhidden at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 07:47:27 PST 2021

Ohio University’s School of Theater is looking for a visiting artist to fill out the cast of a new play to be produced as part of the 28th Annual Seabury Quinn, Jr. Playwrights’ Festival in April 2022.

The new play by Ivan Mosley (MFA, ’22), N/N, is about two Black men, Remus and Jacobee, who camp out in a never-ending cotton field. Jacobee, a contemporary urbanite, is waiting for a winged woman named Hippolyta to give him wings so he can fly away from Remus. Remus, a slave from the 1860s, is looking to travel further in the field. Remus and Jacobee are soon visited by Conjure Chesnutt and his disciples: Augustine, Banjo, Gethsemane and Timmons. Conjure advises them to stay away from Hippolyta but remain exactly where they are. However, Conjure soon reveals ulterior motives. Will Jacobee obtain his wings? Can he and Remus trust Conjure Chesnutt and his followers?

We are looking to fill the role of Jacobee: Remus’ traveling companion; appears to be 20s/30s. Tired of Remus. A contemporary man. African American.

The School of Theater is offering a stipend and housing during rehearsals and performances. Rehearsal time commitments for visiting artists can be scheduled in accordance with their needs, with the hope of availability of at least four evenings per week in Athens.

Rehearsals will begin in March with 4-6 performances April 16-23, 2022.

The School of Theater welcomes outside artists who can provide experience, leadership and professionalism to many of our casts, offering our students supplemental insight into a life in the arts outside of academia.

Please send inquiries, headshots/resumes, or questions, to Tyler Whidden at whiddent at ohio.edu<mailto:whiddent at ohio.edu>.

For more information on Ohio University’s School of Theater, please visit https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/theater/current-season.<https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/theater/current-season>