[NEohioPAL] Kennelly Review: Lizzie--The Musical at the Beck Center

Laura Kennelly lkennelly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 13:13:09 PST 2022

Did Old Maid Lizzie Borden kill her father and stepmother in 1892? *Lizzie:
The Musical* offers a rock (and roll) answer in the show now playing at the
Beck Center in collaboration with Baldwin Wallace University.

No one knows. Lizzie is not a detective mystery, but instead a screaming
plunge into evil in Fall River, Massachusetts.

Using tools available — gossip, witnesses, testimony — officials conducted
a thorough investigation. However, this story unfolded in pre-DNA days. The
one sure fact is that Mr. and Mrs. Borden were brutally murdered in their
home. (Strange thing: everyone complained of an upset stomach several days
before and Lizzie had purchased rat poison early that same week.)

Only Lizzie and the victims will ever know the truth.

But never mind. It is rock music we are here for. And we get it. Director
Victoria Bussert, with her trademark gusto, allows the four dynamic female
leads to do abundant screaming. A few lyric pieces (“Sweet Little Sister”)
offer welcome contrast, but major angst suffered by all four characters
soon offsets peaceful moments.
For more, see
https://coolcleveland.com/2022/02/theater-review-lizzie-the-musical-beck-center-by-laura-kennelly/