[NEohioPAL] convergence-continuum hiring Designers/ SM for two productions

Cory Molner cmolner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 13:33:00 PDT 2022

convergence-continuum is hiring designers for the following productions:
INSURRECTION: HOLDING HISTORY
 by Robert O'Hara
Oct14-Nov 5 directed by Jeannine Gaskin

A collage-and-meta exploration wherein a modern-day black graduate student finds himself and his 189-yr-old grandfather transported back to slavery times and the Nat Turner rebellion. Insurrection is a work unafraid to utterly confound most traditional narrative assumptions, and in a surreal version of history also manages to address contemporary police violence against African-Americans, to explore who has the right to tell whose story, to look critically at African-American attitudes toward homosexuality, and to explore how different generations adhere to different rules.

Open Positions:
   - Lighting Designer
   - Sound Designer
   - Stage Manager

THE MOST FABULOUS STORY EVER TOLD
by Paul Rudnick
Dec 2-17, directed by Denise Astorino

A stage manager, headset and prompt book at hand, brings the house lights to half, then dark, and cues the creation of the world. Throughout the play, she's in control of everything. In other words, she's either God, or she thinks she is. Act One recounts the major episodes of the Old Testament, only with a twist: Instead of Adam and Eve, our lead characters are Adam and Steve, and Jane and Mabel, a lesbian couple with whom they decide to start civilization (procreation proves to be a provocative challenge). Act One covers the Garden of Eden, an ark, a visit with a highly rambunctious Pharaoh and finally even the Nativity. Along the way, Mabel and Adam invent God, but Jane and Steve are skeptical. This brings about the Flood, during which Steve has a brief affair with a rhinoceros and invents infidelity. No longer blissful, Adam and Steve break up only to be reunited as two of the wise men at the Nativity. Act Two jumps to modern day Manhattan. Adam and Steve are together again, and Steve is HIV positive. It's Christmas Eve, and Jane is nine months pregnant even though she always thought of herself as the butch one. The two women want to marry and want Adam and Steve to join them in the ceremony. A wheelchair-bound, Jewish lesbian Rabbi from cable access TV arrives to officiate. The ceremony is interrupted as Jane gives birth, and Steve confides to Adam that his medication isn't working and that he'll probably not survive much longer. Bound by their long life together, and the miracle of birth they've just witnessed, the two men comfort each other even though they know their remaining time together will be short.

Open Positions:
   - Lighting Designer
   - Sound Designer
   - Costume Designer
   - Stage Manager

Designers will work closely with the Production's Director, the Executive Artistic Director, and Production Manager.

Lighting Designers will serve as Master Electrician and are responsible for hang, focus, and programming for the show.

Costume Designers have access to our costume inventory as well as a modest costume budget.

 All positions will receive a stipend of $400.00

To Apply: Please submit your resume, design portfolio (if available), and what positions you are interested in.

Cory Molner
Executive Artistic Director, convergence-continuum Theater
(He/Him/His)cmolner at convergence-continuum.org
convergence-continuum's mission is to produce alternative/experimental theatre work by living playwrights and new plays by local playwrights. The company seeks to create up-close, environmentally-staged productions that challenge the status quo and extend the boundaries of theatre.

​