[NEohioPAL]New Cultural Arts Building

Annette Phelps APhelps at broadview-heights.org
Tue Sep 16 10:05:50 PDT 2003

Date:	September 16, 2003

For:	Immediate Release

Contact:	Annette Phelps (440/227-1984)

City of Broadview Heights Designates Cultural Arts Building

The City Council recently passed an ordinance effective November 1, 2003,
granting the Broadview Heights Spotlights Community Theater a long-term,
low-cost lease of a building on the Broadview Center campus.  It will be
appropriately named "The Broadview Heights Cultural Arts Building-Home of
the Broadview Heights Spotlights".   November 2003 marks the 5th Anniversary
of the community theater.  It also marks a "new beginning" as they embark on
a new venture.
	The building was built in 1972 and has 7371 S.F.   It will have room
for a stage and seating; an art gallery where local artists can display
their works; a large lobby with box office and coat room; kitchen; storage
rooms for costumes, props, and construction materials; classrooms and a
meeting room.
	The building is a former residential facility and will need some
remodeling.  The Vatterott College of Broadview Heights has already
volunteered to assist with the project.  Using a phased-in approach, and
with the help of energetic volunteers, the facility should be open for the
annual Coffee House production in February, 2003.   An engraved plaque in
the lobby will carry the names of all businesses and individuals who
participated in the project.  To get involved  (donation of money,
expertise, labor, truck, furniture, etc.), please call 216/556-0660.
	The Spotlights are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and plan to
apply for grants to aid in the financial aspects of the remodeling project.
Fundraising efforts will begin immediately with a campaign to "purchase a
chair" and have a name of choice on an engraved plaque on the chair.
	"We are extremely pleased that the Mayor and City Council recognize
the importance of the performing arts in a well-rounded community", said
Annette Phelps, President and co-Founder of the Spotlights.  "We have made a
commitment to enhance cultural awareness and we will continue to make them
proud."