[NEohioPAL]1st dance concert of 2004 Cain Park season July 2 & 3

Ksenia ksenia at clvhts.com
Tue Jun 22 16:58:22 PDT 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3170779102_2302069_MIME_Part

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 17, 2004

CAIN PARK
presents
GROUNDWORKS DANCETHEATER

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OHIO - GroundWorks Dancetheater, one of the most
inventive and hip new dance companies in Ohio, returns this summer to Cain
Park for two breathtaking performances on July 2 and 3.  Both performances
will take place in the Alma Theater at 7:30 p.m.

GroundWorks captures the idiosyncrasies of modern life with vitality and wi=
that goes beyond the categories of ballet or modern, effectively producing
brilliant dancing that is =B3setting the standard for small dance ensembles i=
Northeast Ohio.=B2 [The Plain Dealer]  The company supports the creative
vision of founder and artistic director David Shimotakahara who previously
served as director, producer and contributing choreographer for New Steps, =
project he co-founded in 1989.  Known for =B3inspiring his audiences to
think,=B2 [Times Newspapers] Shimotakahara=B9s keen choreographic eye and
razor-sharp wit have earned him four Individual Artist Fellowships for
Choreography and a McKnight Foundation Fellowship in the last eight years.

GroundWorks Dancetheater offers a variety of work in which themes range fro=
sassy, lighthearted and outright humorous to contemplative, bittersweet and
dramatic.  Working to promote intimacy between artist and audience and
experienced in adapting its work to space not necessarily intended for
dance, the company has been successful in connecting with people of all age=
and backgrounds.  =20

The July 2 and 3 performances will feature three captivating and varied
works.  The first, Major to Minor, is performed to the recorded vocal
melodies of some of the greatest jazz singers in history and highlights the
various emotions of people in the pursuit of love.  The second work,
Circadian, is a powerful duet about the forces of attraction, with an
intense background of adrenaline-pumping music composed and performed by
GroundWorks resident performer Gustavo Aguilar. The last piece, The Book of
Water, is Shimotakahara=B9s most recent work.  The dancers are people, places=
,
images and ideas as they embody the central metaphor of water.

In its short, six-year history, GroundWorks Dancetheater has taken its plac=
as one of the most creative and invigorating arts organizations in Northeas=
Ohio.  This lean, economical organization has already established an
important presence in the cultural life of Cleveland and Akron, and the
company has consistently won recognition for the quality of its programs.
In 1998, its inaugural year, GroundWorks was nominated for Northern Ohio
LIVE=B9s Award of Achievement, singled out as =B3easily the most exciting
development on the region=B9s dance horizon.=B2  In 2000, the company was
awarded the Cleveland Arts Prize in Dance and, more recently, was voted by
Dance Magazine as =B3one of 25 to watch in 2002.=B2

Acclaimed by critics and audience members alike for originality, excellence
and ability to communicate, GroundWorks has consistently received favorable
area reviews.         The Beacon Journal named the company one of the
biggest sources of Northeast Ohio pride for the =B3thought-provoking
performances...[that] have made it a not-to-miss contemporary dance group.=B2
Times Newspapers has called GroundWorks =B3a Cleveland treasure,=B2 and The
Plain Dealer noted that although the company is one of the smallest in
Northeast Ohio, =B3it=B9s the mightiest in terms of artistry, vision, craft and
technique.=B2  www.groundworks.org

Advance tickets for GroundWorks Dancetheater=B9s performances on July 2 and 3
are $18 center, $16 sides.  Day-of-show tickets are $23 center, $21 sides.
Cleveland Heights residents presenting a Recreation ID and people presentin=
a Military ID receive a $3 discount.  Children=B9s tickets are 50 percent off
when attending with a parent if all attending family members hold Cleveland
Heights Recreation IDs.  A $2 discount is available when presenting a senio=
citizen ID, a student ID or a Friends of Cain Park membership card.

Special thanks is extended to DanceCleveland for the use of their dance
floor. =20

Tickets for all Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket
Office, by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995
(please include full name, address, phone number, credit card number and
signature).  All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also
available at all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster Charge-by-Phone
216.241.5555 or 330.945.9400 (Akron) and online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Cain Park 2004 season sponsors are The A. M. McGregor Home, Cingular
Wireless, InterContinental Hotels Cleveland, Motorcars Honda/Toyota in
Cleveland Heights.=20

Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the
nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of
Cleveland Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between
Lee and South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free
and located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about al=
Cain Park events, please visit www.cainpark.com.

###

CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY,  Public Relations and Marketing, or JEN
TROLIO, Public Relations Assistant, at 216.371.3000 or e-mail
ksenia at clvhts.com.

--MS_Mac_OE_3170779102_2302069_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>1st dance concert of 2004 Cain Park season July 2 & 3</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H3>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4">JUNE 17, 2004<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><H1>CAIN PARK<BR>
presents<BR>
GROUNDWORKS DANCETHEATER<BR>
<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"4">CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OHIO - <B>GroundWorks Dancetheater</=
B>, one of the most inventive and hip new dance companies in Ohio, returns t=
his summer to Cain Park for two breathtaking performances on <B>July 2</B> a=
nd <B>3</B>.  Both performances will take place in the Alma Theater at =
7:30 p.m.   <BR>
<BR>
GroundWorks captures the idiosyncrasies of modern life with vitality and wi=
t that goes beyond the categories of ballet or modern, effectively producing=
 brilliant dancing that is =B3setting the standard for small dance ensembles i=
n Northeast Ohio.=B2 [<I>The Plain Dealer</I>]  The company supports the =
creative vision of founder and artistic director <B>David Shimotakahara </B>=
who previously served as director, producer and contributing choreographer f=
or New Steps, a project he co-founded in 1989.  Known for =B3inspiring hi=
s audiences to think,=B2 [<I>Times </I>Newspapers] Shimotakahara=B9s keen choreo=
graphic eye and razor-sharp wit have earned him four Individual Artist Fello=
wships for Choreography and a McKnight Foundation Fellowship in the last eig=
ht years.<BR>
<BR>
GroundWorks Dancetheater offers a variety of work in which themes range fro=
m sassy, lighthearted and outright humorous to contemplative, bittersweet an=
d dramatic.  Working to promote intimacy between artist and audience an=
d experienced in adapting its work to space not necessarily intended for dan=
ce, the company has been successful in connecting with people of all ages an=
d backgrounds.   <BR>
<BR>
The July 2 and 3 performances will feature three captivating and varied wor=
ks.  The first, <I>Major to Minor</I>, is performed to the recorded voc=
al melodies of some of the greatest jazz singers in history and highlights t=
he various emotions of people in the pursuit of love.  The second work,=
 <I>Circadian</I>, is a powerful duet about the forces of attraction, with a=
n intense background of adrenaline-pumping music composed and performed by G=
roundWorks resident performer Gustavo Aguilar. The last piece, <I>The Book o=
f Water</I>, is Shimotakahara=B9s most recent work.  The dancers are peop=
le, places, images and ideas as they embody the central metaphor of water. &=
nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
In its short, six-year history, GroundWorks Dancetheater has taken its plac=
e as one of the most creative and invigorating arts organizations in Northea=
st Ohio.  This lean, economical organization has already established an=
 important presence in the cultural life of Cleveland and Akron, and the com=
pany has consistently won recognition for the quality of its programs. &nbsp=
;In 1998, its inaugural year, GroundWorks was nominated for <I>Northern Ohio=
 LIVE</I>=B9s Award of Achievement, singled out as =B3easily the most exciting d=
evelopment on the region=B9s dance horizon.=B2  In 2000, the company was aw=
arded the Cleveland Arts Prize in Dance and, more recently, was voted by <I>=
Dance Magazine </I>as =B3one of 25 to watch in 2002.=B2 <BR>
<BR>
Acclaimed by critics and audience members alike for originality, excellence=
 and ability to communicate, GroundWorks has consistently received favorable=
 area reviews.         <I>The Beacon=
 Journal </I>named the company one of the biggest sources of Northeast Ohio =
pride for the =B3thought-provoking performances...[that] have made it a not-to=
-miss contemporary dance group.=B2  <I>Times Newspapers </I>has called Gr=
oundWorks =B3a Cleveland treasure,=B2 and <I>The Plain Dealer </I>noted that alt=
hough the company is one of the smallest in Northeast Ohio, =B3it=B9s the mighti=
est in terms of artistry, vision, craft and technique.=B2  www.groundwork=
s.org        <BR>
<BR>
Advance tickets for GroundWorks Dancetheater=B9s performances on July 2 and 3=
 are $18 center, $16 sides.  Day-of-show tickets are $23 center, $21 si=
des.  Cleveland Heights residents presenting a Recreation ID and people=
 presenting a Military ID receive a $3 discount.  Children=B9s tickets ar=
e 50 percent off when attending with a parent if all attending family member=
s hold Cleveland Heights Recreation IDs.  A $2 discount is available wh=
en presenting a senior citizen ID, a student ID or a Friends of Cain Park me=
mbership card.<BR>
<BR>
Special thanks is extended to DanceCleveland for the use of their dance flo=
or.  <BR>
<BR>
Tickets for all Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket Offi=
ce, by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995 (please=
 include full name, address, phone number, credit card number and signature)=
.  All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also availabl=
e at all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster Charge-by-Phone 216.241.5555 or =
330.945.9400 (Akron) and online at www.ticketmaster.com.<BR>
<BR>
Cain Park 2004 season sponsors are The A. M. McGregor Home, Cingular Wirele=
ss, InterContinental Hotels Cleveland, Motorcars Honda/Toyota in Cleveland H=
eights.  <BR>
<BR>
Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the=
 nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of Cleve=
land Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between Lee a=
nd South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free a=
nd located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about=
 all Cain Park events, please visit www.cainpark.com.<BR>
<BR>
###<BR>
<BR>
CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY,  Public Relations and Marketing, or JEN=
 TROLIO, Public Relations Assistant, at 216.371.3000 or e-mail ksenia at clvhts=
.com.<BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3170779102_2302069_MIME_Part--