[NEohioPAL]Faye Sholiton's V-E Day

Jan Harcar jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Tue Jan 11 13:46:15 PST 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F7FD.109FA120

WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE
Sundays at Seven: Salon Reading Series
V-E Day by Faye Sholiton

Wartime Newsletters Inspire Drama
When playwright Faye Sholiton first read through a box of wartime =
newsletters that circulated among Jewish troops from Cleveland during =
World War II, they struck a responsive chord. In fact, these newsletters =
became the inspiration for her play V-E Day. Weathervane Playhouse will =
present a reading of the resulting play Sunday, January 23 at 5 p.m. at =
the Playhouse in the Jack and Libby Jacobs Library on the second floor. =
(Please note time change.)

A tribute to America's "Greatest Generation," Sholiton's play revolves =
around 79 year-old Evelyn Bergfeld, who inhabits a lonely world where =
telemarketers and Home Shopping Network voices provide companionship. =
Regretting decisions made 60 years ago, Evelyn takes out her frustration =
on her caretaking, adult daughter. She receives a surprise visit from an =
old beau who brings a box of wartime newsletters she had written for =
hometown boys in the service. For a day, Evelyn becomes young again, =
rejuvenated by past memories. "I was also inspired by the dynamic young =
women who came of age at a time their talents were needed, and were then =
shoved back into suburban kitchens after the soldiers came home," says =
Sholiton.

Sholiton's play garnered an Ohio Arts Council Individual Artist Grant =
and received a critically-acclaimed run at Cleveland's Dobama Theatre. =
Jacqi Loewy, who directed that production, is also directing =
Weathervane's Salon Series reading. Loewy is in her fifth year of =
collaboration with Weathervane Playhouse. Her credits there include the =
award-winning production of The Laramie Project. Loewy has directed =
extensively throughout Northeast Ohio in theatres ranging from Cleveland =
Lyric Opera to The University of Akron.

Faye Sholiton is a member of the Playwrights' Unit at the Cleveland Play =
House, where she has developed her work since 1996. V-E Day won the 2003 =
Arlene and William Lewis New Play Contest at Brigham Young University =
and placed Fourth Place in the 2003 Writers Digest Playwriting =
Competition. It was also honored in the 2004 Jane Chambers New Play =
Competition.

Sholiton's other works include The Interview, The Good Times, A Form of =
Hope and her newest work, All Things Being Equal, which is the Salon =
Reading selection for February 27. Originally a journalist, she is =
theatre writer for Northern Ohio Live Magazine.

The reading will be Weathervane's Jack & Libby Jacobs Library following =
a performance of Ain't Misbehavin' and just prior to the first =
performance of Angels in America: Millennium Approaches in the =
Playhouse's new John L. Deitz Classroom Theater.

Weathervane's free Salon Reading Series provides exposure to new plays =
and playwrights. Audience members have the opportunity to provide =
feedback in discussions following the reading. Refreshments are also =
served.

The V-E Day reading takes place at 5 p.m. on January 23rd, rather than =
the customary 7 p.m. Weathervane Community Playhouse is located at 1301 =
Weathervane Lane in Akron's Merriman Valley.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F7FD.109FA120

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D4>WEATHERVANE=20
PLAYHOUSE</FONT></DIV></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial>Sundays at Seven: Salon =
Reading=20
Series</FONT></STRONG></DIV></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#808000 size=3D4>V-E Day =
by Faye=20
Sholiton</FONT></DIV></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial>Wartime Newsletters =
Inspire=20
Drama</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P>When playwright Faye Sholiton first read through a box of wartime =
newsletters=20
that circulated among Jewish troops from Cleveland during World War II, =
they=20
struck a responsive chord. In fact, these newsletters became the =
inspiration for=20
her play <B><I>V-E Day</B></I>. Weathervane Playhouse will present a =
reading of=20
the resulting play <B>Sunday, January 23 at 5 p.m. at the Playhouse in =
the Jack=20
and Libby Jacobs Library on the second floor. (Please note time =
change.)</P></B>
<P>A tribute to America=92s "Greatest Generation," Sholiton=92s play =
revolves around=20
79 year-old Evelyn Bergfeld, who inhabits a lonely world where =
telemarketers and=20
Home Shopping Network voices provide companionship. Regretting decisions =
made 60=20
years ago, Evelyn takes out her frustration on her caretaking, adult =
daughter.=20
She receives a surprise visit from an old beau who brings a box of =
wartime=20
newsletters she had written for hometown boys in the service. For a day, =
Evelyn=20
becomes young again, rejuvenated by past memories. "I was also inspired =
by the=20
dynamic young women who came of age at a time their talents were needed, =
and=20
were then shoved back into suburban kitchens after the soldiers came =
home," says=20
Sholiton.</P>
<P>Sholiton=92s play garnered an Ohio Arts Council Individual Artist =
Grant and=20
received a critically-acclaimed run at Cleveland=92s Dobama Theatre. =
<B>Jacqi=20
Loewy</B>, who directed that production, is also directing =
Weathervane=92s Salon=20
Series reading. Loewy is in her fifth year of collaboration with =
Weathervane=20
Playhouse. Her credits there include the award-winning production of =
<I>The=20
Laramie Project</I>. Loewy has directed extensively throughout Northeast =
Ohio in=20
theatres ranging from Cleveland Lyric Opera to The University of =
Akron.</P>
<P>Faye Sholiton is a member of the Playwrights=92 Unit at the Cleveland =
Play=20
House, where she has developed her work since 1996. <B><I>V-E =
Day</B></I> won=20
the 2003 Arlene and William Lewis New Play Contest at Brigham Young =
University=20
and placed Fourth Place in the 2003 Writers Digest Playwriting =
Competition. It=20
</FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>was also honored in the 2004 Jane =
Chambers=20
New Play Competition.</P>
<P>Sholiton=92s other works include <I>The Interview, The Good Times, A =
Form of=20
Hope</I> and her newest work, <I>All Things Being Equal</I>, which is =
the Salon=20
Reading selection for February 27. Originally a journalist, she is =
theatre=20
writer for <I>Northern Ohio Live Magazine</I>.</P>
<P>The reading will be Weathervane=92s Jack & Libby Jacobs Library =
following a=20
performance of <B><I>Ain=92t Misbehavin=92</B></I> and just prior to the =
first=20
performance of <B><I>Angels in America: Millennium Approaches</B></I> in =
the=20
Playhouse=92s new John L. Deitz Classroom Theater.</P>
<P>Weathervane=92s free Salon Reading Series provides exposure to new =
plays and=20
playwrights. Audience members have the opportunity to provide feedback =
in=20
discussions following the reading. Refreshments are also served.</P>
<P>The <B><I>V-E Day</B></I> reading takes place at <B>5 p.m. on January =

23<SUP>rd</B></SUP>, rather than the customary 7 p.m. Weathervane =
Community=20
Playhouse is located at 1301 Weathervane Lane in Akron=92s Merriman=20
Valley.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F7FD.109FA120--