[NEohioPAL]An Open Letter to the Theater Community

RFWB2000 at aol.com RFWB2000 at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 17:38:38 PST 2005

Hello all. A few responses to recent posts:

Ms. Whiting;

While we're keeping score among the offended - I am offended by your flippancy and your lack of respect for the viewpoints of ANYONE within this community, let alone the respected artistic director of a well-respected venue for our work. Mr. Rollison had a valid, well-supported, COURTEOUSLY STATED point to make. He in no way named names. Your accusation of "preaching" is unfounded - Mr. Rollison made no attempt to disparage anyone's habits or lifestyle choices in his letter, he simply reiterated the STANDARDS of PROFESSIONALISM that make such behavior creeping into our work UNNACCEPTABLE. If you disagree with his sentiments, that is your opinion. But I believe in a community in which we all are free to express our viewpoints clearly and courteously without fear of aggressive, bitter, hostile, and INAPROPRIATE remarks such as your own. Not to stoop to that level, but - GROW UP.

I think the point here is that we as the cleveland artistic community need to make clear that such behavior really IS unacceptable, instead of allowing it to linger on the fringes and become that thing that we whisper about but never discuss in a valid way. It's much easier to GOSSIP about those that we know exhibit this sort of behavior than it is to grab the bull by the horns, face the issue, and remind ourselves of the professionalism NO BRAINER - this behavior just isn't cool. And, Ms. Whiting - if you think that those folks to whom Mr. Rollison's Letter pertains are NOT READING THIS LIST - A)you are severely out of touch with the folks working in this town and B)you have missed the point.

And due respect to Dr. Friedman - Martin, you make valid points and are always willing to share them in a way that is courteous and candid. Thanks for that. I do have to say, however, that I found no innuendo in Mr. Rollison's remarks- just valid concern.

And My dear dear Larry Nehring - Despite the dubious rumor of your "Sanctimonious" nature - I appreciated your well-written letter and applaud it and it's sentiments.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Comments welcome, as always, but please consider whether your responses are appropriate for the entire list or should remain private.

Regards,

Ryan Bergeron
Actor / Musical Director / Vocal Coach / Occasional Activist