[NEohioPAL]Remembering Arthur Miller

Nancy Brooks goodfoot34 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 13:28:13 PST 2005

------=_NextPart_000_11b0_5e75_264b

My favorite Arthur Miller experience was at 12 when I played Betty Parris in
THE CRUCIBLE at Euclid Little Theatre (whose home at the time was in the
Russell Erwine Elementary School gymnasium, thank you very much - pull up a
folding chair under the basketball net).

THE CRUCIBLE was my first time working with real dramatic material (in spite
of the basketball net), but I was also lucky enough to work at that age and
on that material with some adult actors whose skill in process and
performance helped to shape my own perceptions of an actor's work. What I
understood best about Miller's THE CRUCIBLE when I was 12, however, was that
I was having the best time flinging myself around in my nightdress and
bonnet that anyone ever had.

I learned later that it ranks up there among the last century's most
defining works of American art. It mirrors Miller's own experience during
the McCarthy era in a story he based on actual events that occured 300 years
before he wrote it, and yet it continues to be as relevant today as it was
when he wrote it AND with regard to the period in which it was set (which
speaks to either his heavy-dutiness as a playwright or the sometimes
frightening cycle of the American experience - both, I think). It's personal
and universal, and it maintains the recurrent themes of morality, honor, and
our struggle to transcend our own human failings that are central to his
other works.

Arthur Miller was the real deal! Break a leg in his memory if you're going
onstage this weekend.

Nancy Brooks

------=_NextPart_000_11b0_5e75_264b