[NEohioPAL]Arthur Miller

Christopher Fortunato judgehand2003a at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 17:00:25 PST 2005

--0-2129096911-1108342825=:26684

It was quite sad to hear about Arthur Miller's passing the other day.  I enjoyed reading all of the remembrances of how Arthur Miller inspired/motivated/changed our lives through his plays.

My include:

-knowing his niece who lives in the Cleveland area and who told me some early stories of Miller.
-reading The Crucible in high school which our teacher conducted as if it were a staged reading.  I got to be the old man who asked for more stones.  At the same time we were studying McCarthyism in American history class.
-getting introduced to Willy Loman in college theatre and literature classes.
-surprising Clevelander Betsy Hogg on opening night of previews at the Virginia Theatre in NYC in The Crucible two years ago.  Betsy was simply fantastic (she is now in Fiddler on Broadway)

No doubt, Arthur Miller was changed by the Great Depression (as were many people)  Although I do not think I would be as pessimistic as Miller in outlook, his plays give us so much meat to sink our teeth into.  He wrote what he knew and he conveyed what he knew superbly.

Chris Fortunato

--0-2129096911-1108342825=:26684

<DIV>It was quite sad to hear about Arthur Miller's passing the other day.  I enjoyed reading all of the remembrances of how Arthur Miller inspired/motivated/changed our lives through his plays.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My include:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>-knowing his niece who lives in the Cleveland area and who told me some early stories of Miller.</DIV>
<DIV>-reading The Crucible in high school which our teacher conducted as if it were a staged reading.  I got to be the old man who asked for more stones.  At the same time we were studying McCarthyism in American history class.</DIV>
<DIV>-getting introduced to Willy Loman in college theatre and literature classes.  </DIV>
<DIV>-surprising Clevelander Betsy Hogg on opening night of previews at the Virginia Theatre in NYC in The Crucible two years ago.  Betsy was simply fantastic (she is now in Fiddler on Broadway)  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>No doubt, Arthur Miller was changed by the Great Depression (as were many people)  Although I do not think I would be as pessimistic as Miller in outlook, his plays give us so much meat to sink our teeth into.  He wrote what he knew and he conveyed what he knew superbly.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fortunato</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>