[NEohioPAL]Non-talent response to Mary's message..

Dinah Mitchell dinahmitchell at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 08:08:52 PST 2005

--0-844043181-1111680532=:27372

As an indie filmmaker with no desire to be an actor, but all the respect in the world for what you do, I appreciate Mary's stance on the "Got Pay" meeting.

Last year, I produced my first movie. Yeah, we had no budget and went into credit card debt paying for digital tape, food for the cast/crew (on top of the donations), gas for my dad's generator, and many other expenses, some unforeseen.

I know the potential for making money on our first movie is slim, maybe slimmer than winning the lottery. I didn't even try to raise money because I don't want to piss off investors and create a bad name for myself before I even begin my film career.

But we finished a movie. Our first. And we're very proud of it, even if it hasn't been accepted into any film festivals we submitted to, or had any sales potential yet.

I'm here to thank Mary and the rest of the 200+ cast, crew and sponsors who donated food, equipment and their valuable time, energy and talent.

I have a list. My list has over 200 people, and counting.

I have a dream. My dream is to raise funding for feature length films that will employ people on that list.

I have no desire to move to LA or NY. I love this town and the people in it, especially Mary. You can trust I'll do everything I can to help you (talent and crew), if you're willing to help me.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Overstreet
Producer of "Little Pricks"

To all Neohiopalers who attended Monday's "Got Pay" Meeting:

At the beginning, I sat in silence...just watching and listening, nodding my head in agreement, "We're meeting to inform and educate....." Later I sat in disbelief, shaking my head at what I was hearing.  When I was finally ready to raise my hand and offer an opposing opinion, I watched honest independent filmmakers get attacked for presenting their side of this issue.  I watched as people walked out.  After the meeting, I listened to several who had also remained silent, also apprehensive of speaking out.

Now, with time to formulate my thoughts more articulately, I feel the need to speak out.  I need to share that the individual opinions of some union members did NOT represent the opinions of ALL union members....certainly not the opinions of THIS union member.

Yes, all actors have worth...I totally agree.  Whether union or nonunion, all actors have worth.  No doubt about it.  I heartily concur, that if asked to do a commercial, industrial or training film, or ANY gig where the client will be generating income as a result, ALL actors, crew, editors, writers, etc., should be paid fairly for their services....Absolutely NO argument here!  In fact, in my opinion, on ANY project where SOME are being paid, ALL should be paid.  No one skill is more important than any other on any project.

That, unfortunately, is where I parted company with the attitudes and comments expressed at Monday's "Got Pay" meeting.  Telling newcomers to negotiate union wages or "walk away" from the job is ridiculous.  Telling independent film makers with no financial backing to put actor's salaries on their charge cards is ludicrous.  Telling actors to not act unless they get paid is just plain foolish.

I am a 15 year member of AFTRA, and ready to join SAG upon my next SAG film.  I worked for many years on nonunion commercials, first free, then often working for $50-$150 dollars for unlimited usage.  For all I know, some of them are still running in Chicago...and quite frankly, I don't care.

I worked for many years as an extra on over a dozen major films at a rate of $50 per 12 hour day.  With every job, I gained experience, confidence, business contacts, and friends.  I honed my craft and built my resume, line by line.  I trained at Second City, wrote my own show, THE SIX AGES OF WOMAN, and put it on the market.  (and yes, I reduce my rates and do occasional free-bees when Spirit moves me to do so).  When my confidence, skill level, and resume were solid, I joined AFTRA.  I have an agent.  I earn union scale.  I don't "scab," and I have turned down suggestions to go "financial core," (yet I do NOT judge or shun those who choose to make a personal decision to do so).

But, listening to this meeting, I just kept shaking my head.  What gives ANYONE the right to judge others?  What gives ANYONE the right to shame, demean, or subtly threaten Email attacks to those who wish to offer no-pay gigs...or those who choose to accept such "opportunities" to work for free...for the reel, or experience or "fun of it?"  What right does ANYONE have to tell others they "shouldn't" work free or cheap, when MANY of us veteran actors got our starts that way?  Who has the right to tell others how to live their lives?  It is not up to ANY of us to tell others what to charge or which work to accept.  It is not our place to shame, attack or intimidate others who follow their hearts to do what is individually right for them.  It smacks of the American Auto worker who "keys" the foreign car in the parking lot.

Until I am a full SAG member, I will continue to audition and participate in no-pay or deferred pay independent films. I have personally had nothing but pleasant experiences on such projects.  I do so because I love the film industry and I love film acting.  I do so because in my heart I KNOW it will lead me to bigger and better things. Acting is my calling, my passion, my pleasure.  I do so because I want to help film makers produce high quality projects, and I am a high quality actor.  I believe my independent film experience was what gave me the confidence and skill to win my SAG role in AMERICAN SPLENDOR.

Don't get me wrong.  Money is good.  Money is nice.  I need money like everyone else.  But everything I do is NOT about money.  I always have and always will do what is right in MY heart to do, regardless of the opinions of others. I felt sad to see talented, good hearted, well intentioned people intimidated and shamed at this meeting.  I felt sad to see my union give the appearance of being controlling, greedy and angry.

I totally agree with the motto expressed last night...
       "IF MONEY GETS MADE, THE TALENT GETS PAID."
I personally would not do a commercial for no pay.  In my opinion, neither should anyone.  But if you are a nonunion talent and feel led to say yes for whatever your reason, follow your gut and your heart and do what is right for you.

I have done professional theater for non-equity pay.  And I have done good quality community/semiprofessional theater for a stipend that didn't cover my gas costs.  My latest theater experience was performing in Fred Sternfeld's Ragtime.  Did I get paid?  You bet I did.  Besides the small stipend, I got paid in ways that money can't buy.  I got paid with the pride of being an important part of a theatrical experience I will remember for the rest of my life.  I got paid by making some true close, intimate friends I will love until I die.  I got paid by the laughter and camaraderie at rehearsals.  I got paid by hearing thunderous applause, and seeing standing ovations before the curtain call even began.  Being a part of this theatrical masterpiece not only didn't make me money, it cost me money......and it was worth every single penny. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I am the Cleveland Coordinator for the Artistic Spiritual Cinema Community.  (www.SpiritualCinemaCircle.com) - A grass roots movement started by Stephen Simon (What Dreams May Come, Somewhere in Time, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure....and more) to produce quality films with a spiritual/positive message.  Actors, producers, writers, directors, tech crew....working for NO PAY to produce quality inspirational and life changing films.  If the films ever make money, people will get paid. Sometimes it just has to be about trusting each other.  Sometimes it just has to be about THE ART.

Just one woman's opinion.

Warm hugs and a double dimpled smile from
Mary Faktor (the actor)
www.FaktorsTalentNetwork.com
888-913-3473

--0-844043181-1111680532=:27372

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>As an indie filmmaker with no desire to be an actor, but all the respect in the world for what you do, I appreciate Mary's stance on the "Got Pay" meeting.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Last year, I produced my first movie. Yeah, we had no budget and went into credit card debt paying for digital tape, food for the cast/crew (on top of the donations), gas for my dad's generator, and many other expenses, some unforeseen.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I know the potential for making money on our first movie is slim, maybe slimmer than winning the lottery. I didn't even try to raise money because I don't want to piss off investors and create a bad name for myself before I even begin my film career.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>But we <U>finished</U> a movie. Our <U>first</U>. And we're very proud of it, even if it hasn't been accepted into any film festivals we submitted to, or had any sales potential yet.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>I'm here to thank Mary and the rest of the 200+ cast, crew and sponsors who donated food, equipment and their valuable time, energy and talent.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have a list. My list has over 200 people, and counting.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have a dream. My dream is to raise funding for feature length films that will employ people on that list. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have no desire to move to LA or NY. I love this town and the people in it, especially Mary. You can <STRONG><U>trust</U></STRONG> I'll do everything I can to help you (talent <U><STRONG>and</STRONG></U> crew), if you're willing to help me.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Jennifer Overstreet</DIV>
<DIV>Producer of "Little Pricks"</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT lang=0 face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080 size=3 FAMILY="SCRIPT" PTSIZE="12">To all Neohiopalers who attended Monday's "Got Pay" Meeting:<BR><BR>At the beginning, I sat in silence...just watching and listening, nodding my head in agreement, "We're meeting to inform and educate....." Later I sat in disbelief, shaking my head at what I was hearing.  When I was finally ready to raise my hand and offer an opposing opinion, I watched honest independent filmmakers get attacked for presenting their side of this issue.  I watched as people walked out.  After the meeting, I listened to several who had also remained silent, also apprehensive of speaking out.  <BR><BR>Now, with time to formulate my thoughts more articulately, I feel the need to speak out.  I need to share that the individual opinions of some union members did NOT represent the opinions of ALL union members....certainly not the opinions of THIS union member.  <BR><BR>Yes, all actors
 have worth...I totally agree.  Whether union or nonunion, all actors have worth.  No doubt about it.  I heartily concur, that if asked to do a commercial, industrial or training film, or <I><U>ANY </I></U>gig where the client will be generating income as a result, <U>ALL</U> actors, crew, editors, writers, etc., should be paid fairly for their services....Absolutely NO argument here!  In fact, in my opinion, on <I><U>ANY</I> </U>project where SOME are being paid, <U>ALL</U> should be paid.  No one skill is more important than any other on any project.  <BR><BR>That, unfortunately, is where I parted company with the attitudes and comments expressed at Monday's "Got Pay" meeting.  Telling newcomers to negotiate union wages or "walk away" from the job is ridiculous.  Telling independent film makers with no financial backing to put actor's salaries on their charge cards is ludicrous.  Telling actors to not act unless they get paid is just
 plain foolish.  <BR><BR>I am a 15 year member of AFTRA, and ready to join SAG upon my next SAG film.  I worked for many years on nonunion commercials, first free, then often working for $50-$150 dollars for unlimited usage.  For all I know, some of them are still running in Chicago...and quite frankly, I don't care. <BR><BR>I worked for many years as an extra on over a dozen major films at a rate of $50 per 12 hour day.  With every job, I gained experience, confidence, business contacts, and friends.  I honed my craft and built my resume, line by line.  I trained at Second City, wrote my own show, THE SIX AGES OF WOMAN, and put it on the market.  (and yes, I reduce my rates and do occasional free-bees when Spirit moves me to do so).  When my confidence, skill level, and resume were solid, I joined AFTRA.  I have an agent.  I earn union scale.  I don't "scab," and I have turned down suggestions to go "financial core," (yet I do
 NOT judge or shun those who choose to make a personal decision to do so).<BR><BR>But, listening to this meeting, I just kept shaking my head.  What gives ANYONE the right to judge others?  What gives ANYONE the right to shame, demean, or subtly threaten Email attacks to those who wish to offer no-pay gigs...or those who choose to accept such "opportunities" to work for free...for the reel, or experience or "fun of it?"  What right does ANYONE have to tell others they "shouldn't" work free or cheap, when MANY of us veteran actors got our starts that way?  Who has the right to tell others how to live their lives?  It is not up to ANY of us to tell others what to charge or which work to accept.  It is not our place to shame, attack or intimidate others who follow their hearts to do what is individually right for them.  It smacks of the American Auto worker who "keys" the foreign car in the parking lot.  <BR><BR>Until I am a full SAG member, I
 will continue to audition and participate in no-pay or deferred pay independent films. I have personally had nothing but pleasant experiences on such projects.  I do so because I love the film industry and I love film acting.  I do so because in my heart I KNOW it will lead me to bigger and better things. Acting is my calling, my passion, my pleasure.  I do so because I want to help film makers produce high quality projects, and I am a high quality actor.  I believe my independent film experience was what gave me the confidence and skill to win my SAG role in AMERICAN SPLENDOR.  <BR><BR>Don't get me wrong.  Money is good.  Money is nice.  I need money like everyone else.  But everything I do is NOT about money.  I always have and always will do what is right in MY heart to do, regardless of the opinions of others. I felt sad to see talented, good hearted, well intentioned people intimidated and shamed at this meeting.  I felt
 sad to see my union give the appearance of being controlling, greedy and angry.<BR><BR>I totally agree with the motto expressed last night...<BR>       "IF MONEY GETS MADE, THE TALENT GETS PAID."  <BR>I personally would not do a commercial for no pay.  In my opinion, neither should anyone.  But if you are a nonunion talent and feel led to say yes for whatever your reason, follow your gut and your heart and do what is right for you.  <BR><BR>I have done professional theater for non-equity pay.  And I have done good quality community/semiprofessional theater for a stipend that didn't cover my gas costs.  My latest theater experience was performing in Fred Sternfeld's Ragtime.  Did I get paid?  You bet I did.  Besides the small stipend, I got paid in ways that money can't buy.  I got paid with the pride of being an important part of a theatrical experience I will remember for the rest of my life.  I
 got paid by making some true close, intimate friends I will love until I die.  I got paid by the laughter and camaraderie at rehearsals.  I got paid by hearing thunderous applause, and seeing standing ovations before the curtain call even began.  Being a part of this theatrical masterpiece not only didn't make me money, it cost me money......and it was worth every single penny. I would do it again in a heartbeat.<BR><BR>I am the Cleveland Coordinator for the Artistic Spiritual Cinema Community.  (www.SpiritualCinemaCircle.com) - A grass roots movement started by Stephen Simon (What Dreams May Come, Somewhere in Time, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure....and more) to produce quality films with a spiritual/positive message.  Actors, producers, writers, directors, tech crew....working for NO PAY to produce quality inspirational and life changing films.  If the films ever make money, people will get paid. Sometimes it just has to be about trusting each
 other.  Sometimes it just has to be about THE ART.<BR><BR>Just one woman's opinion.<BR><BR>Warm hugs and a double dimpled smile from<BR>Mary Faktor (the actor)<BR>www.FaktorsTalentNetwork.com<BR>888-913-3473</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Yahoo! Small Business - <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=31637/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/">Try our new resources site!</a>