[NEohioPAL]My experience at 2004 Cleveland Entertainment Conference

Jennifer Overstreet mediawriter at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 10 09:56:26 PDT 2005

--0-2058925806-1115744186=:37852

For any who are in, or trying to break in to theater, film, television:

Last year, I went to the first Cleveland Entertainment Conference (www.clevelandentertainmentconference.com). Yeah, I just plugged it. Why? Because I think it's that important.

I used to plug and even volunteer for the Midwest Independent Filmmakers Conference held by the Cleveland Film Society, but that went by the wayside, along with the Cleveland Filmmakers Division of CFS. Maybe I should have plugged it more.

Last year at the Cleveland Entertainment Conference:

I sat in on many of the highly informative panels, but I also stood around outside smoking cigarettes (filthy habit) and chatting with Anthony Russo about his upcoming projects for a major television network and what it was like to attend a press junket for the announcement.

I listened to Alan Schechter talk about some very specific problems encountered during his many productions, the actions he took and the outcomes, positive or negative. Many locals have their opinions about Alan, but the guy has a lot of worthy experiences to impart.

At lunch, I chatted with other professional filmmakers in Cleveland (who were only attending the conference--not panelists) and received 2 job offers for major projects.

I'm still kicking myself for not going to the wrap party. It would have been icing on the cake.

I started asking Christina Grozik (founder of CEC) if I could help out as soon as the conference was over last year because I believe in what it stands for and what it has accomplished so far.

The most valuable thing about the CEC is the chance to network with other entertainment professsionals, both local and non-local. It also helped me to remain energized about this difficult and time-consuming career I've chosen. Chatting with major players from LA made me feel just how close I could be to that level of success.

Jennifer Overstreet

--0-2058925806-1115744186=:37852

<DIV>For any who are in, or trying to break in to theater, film, television:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Last year, I went to the first Cleveland Entertainment Conference (<A href="http://www.clevelandentertainmentconference.com">www.clevelandentertainmentconference.com</A>). Yeah, I just plugged it. Why? Because I think it's <U>that</U> important.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I used to plug and even volunteer for the Midwest Independent Filmmakers Conference held by the Cleveland Film Society, but that went by the wayside, along with the Cleveland Filmmakers Division of CFS. Maybe I should have plugged it more.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Last year at the Cleveland Entertainment Conference:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I sat in on many of the highly informative panels, but I also stood around outside smoking cigarettes (filthy habit) and chatting with Anthony Russo about his upcoming projects for a major television network and what it was like to attend a press junket for the announcement.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I listened to Alan Schechter talk about some very specific problems encountered during his many productions, the actions he took and the outcomes, positive or negative. Many locals have their opinions about Alan, but the guy has a lot of worthy experiences to impart.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>At lunch, I chatted with other professional filmmakers in Cleveland (who were only attending the conference--not panelists) and received 2 job offers for major projects.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I'm still kicking myself for not going to the wrap party. It would have been icing on the cake.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I started asking Christina Grozik (founder of CEC) if I could help out as soon as the conference was over last year because I believe in what it stands for and what it has accomplished so far.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The most valuable thing about the CEC is the chance to network with other entertainment professsionals, both local and non-local. It also helped me to remain energized about this difficult and time-consuming career I've chosen. Chatting with major players from LA made me feel just how close I could be to that level of success.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Jennifer Overstreet</DIV>
--0-2058925806-1115744186=:37852--