[NEohioPAL]why all the fuss?

AC Earing alanearing at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 15:24:52 PDT 2005

EP (and others with the 'go quietly into the night'
mentality),

Where were you a few months ago?  I only ask because
of the mis-interpretation of the meaning behind pay
vs. no pay.

Being in 'the know' means doing some research and
evaluating what you are speaking up against or for.
If you, for example, are NOT in 'the know' about
something, you can ask around about such things as
shady/sketchy projects or budgets pertaining to
community projects or even educational video projects.
 Then, after a week or more asking around, you will
have some information that is second hand and not
precise.     Then, as a performer (rookie or veteren)
you can decide if you want to get involved or not.
But by that time, auditions have occured or the
project has moved on beyond the opportunity to make an
impact. Being prepared, not just with the performance
material, is about also knowing what you are worth in
relation to this 'type' of project.  Or what the
project is about, money making vs. independent
no-budget.  And of course, knowing what you are
willing to negotiate your paid for and developed
skills/talents in exchange for.  That is being in 'the
know.'

NOT being in 'the know' is how many producers and
projects take advantage of sliding the market into the
position it is in now.  You understand the concept of
supply and demand, no?  There is a large supply of
performers, and not a large demand for GOOD performers
any more.  Whether due to rising production costs (dv
does make it cheaper...), or because of the stiff
competition of other producers in the market (undercut
each other by budgeting out expendible expenses like
talent).  Therefore, the industry
(producers/projects/etc) will adapt and move towards
making lower quality productions/projects so that they
can actually earn a buck or two.  Why?  because they
can take advantage of the high supply of performers
and not have to fuss with the low supply of GOOD
performers.  So, they take advantage of free talent.
This then eliminates the opportunity for professional
and GOOD performers to work because they know their
value.  Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing for
non-professional or rookie performers.  But it impacts
the industry, especially in this area.

Here's how.  The quality of projects dwindle.
Therefore, the higher quality projects stay away from
a market that is primarily wrought with low quality
productions.  Therefore, less GOOD opportunity is out
there for people to move UP into better gigs as they
get better and better as performers.  A huge sucking
sound, hear it?  Now, those who are concerned with the
bottom line, don't care, they will adapt their
business to change with the market, eventhough they
are leeching the market.

Eventually, the whole area is affected and then there
begins to pop up the notion of exploiting talent.  If
the concept of performing for FREE makes sense to you,
then why doesn't the notion of acquiring lessons and
training for FREE exist?  How do these performers
become GOOD?  Not through free means!  And therefore,
TALENT HAS VALUE!  No business will do a project on NO
budget, and there has to be a push from the community
of artists to change the concept of budgeting
projects.  Instead of the industry standard being to
ask for FREE talent (labor, commercial good, service,
ask Mike Kraft the other more relevant term), the
standard SHOULD be to factor in a budget for the value
received!

If you as a performer can not feel comfortable asking
what the budget is on a project, or if the production
WON'T tell you, that is keeping you out of 'the know.'
 And that is sketchy and shady.  But, in understanding
that that isn't necessarily the faults of the naive or
market ignorant (as in not knowing their own impact on
the world around them) producers or budgeteers.  Thus
the campaign to elevate the arts through value and
community.  Ya dig?!

Those who are violent via email are overly passionate
and don't earn themselves the opportunity to advance
anyway.  And there aren't very many of them, ignore
them and they'll fade into silence.  They just lack
the savvy to communicate, which makes for a poor
performer anyway.

As for simply not getting involved with projects that
don't pay, DON'T fool yourself.  This campaign is an
effort to INFLUENCE those who simply stand back and
just take what is offered.  Influence them to actually
get involved, and to take responsibility for the
industry in which they work/play/perform.  So, if YOU
want to simply go with the flow and to not have a
sense of accountability for YOUR impact on the
industry around you, then fine!  But speaking up isn't
congruent with that philosophy.  Don't speak up unless
you want to be heard.  And make sure that what you
want to be heard for, makes sense!  Making your voice
heard has an impact; be cogniscent of what that impact
is!

Peace love and elevation,
AC

--- e p <lilmiss716 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i know that these postings for the pay vs no pay
> should go on the sister site, but i just feel i need
> to say these things:
>
> i know we all would love to get paid all the time
> for all the projects we do, but we all know, that
> while any kind of artist is starting out, that is
> the way it goes. and as you get more experience,
> join unions, get agents, yada yada yada, you can be
> more choosey about what projects you pick to be a
> part of. after reading the responses to the posting
> for the educational dvd, i was offended and i didn't
> even post the project. there is no need for that
> kind of language and harshness. if you don't agree
> with a project because of pay or it doesn't sound
> like something you'd be interested in, then don't
> respond to it. it's that simple. any kind of project
> whether paid or not can be a learning experience for
> the actor and the person who's running the project
> and it can also be a networking possibility for
> future PAID projects at a later time. it's a shame
> that people are getting turned off from this
> wonderful free community of artists and may be
> missing out on good opportunities be
>  cause
>  people are afraid to post auditions for fear of
> getting yelled at by people they don't even know. my
> feeling is, unless you know something is
> shady/sketchy and-or people would be putting
> themselves in some kind of danger, by all means
> speak up. but this whole thing with people
> "protesting" against certain projects is
> ridiculous.just make up your own mind about what you
> want to do or not want to do.... not to be a
> cheeseball, but let's support each other instead of
> attack each other. geez.

AC Earing
Pittsburgh Actor, Model, Producer

alanearing at yahoo.com