[NEohioPAL]Friday listing - reply to Tony Brown

Mark Cipra cipram at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 15 14:18:39 PST 2005

First, I'm sure the rest of the NEOhioPAL community
will join with me in expressing our appreciation for
the support the PD does give to the arts.  Our
dissatisfaction with the the listings-audition issue
should not overshadow that - it is merely the issue on
the table at the moment.

Next, allow me to apologise if we have given the
impression that we're still complaining about the
inadvertent omission of the theater listings from that
first Friday section.  Once the situation was
explained, I believe everyone calmed down on that
issue.

Perhaps you will also forgive me for my overreaction
to the curation issue, but the impression left by your
colleagues was that we would be seeing something
different in this department (at least one other
person had the same reaction).  If the listing
sections will go on essentially unchanged, wonderful,
and I apologize.

I think you'll agree that there are many very bad
newspapers out there, and for the most part their
*only* motto is "Serve the customer".

The PD has never been part of that group, in my view,
precisely because it serves the community.  This is
not to ignore the fact that without readers it
couldn't survive, but the PD has always taken time and
page-space to bring issues of minority interest to the
attention of its readers.  A small part of that
community service has been making the vibrancy of our
theater community visible.  I don't rely on the PD to
hear about auditions, but I always enjoyed seeing that
big AUDITIONS splash in the middle of the listings -
it said "There's a LOT going on in this town".  I'll
miss that, but if you keep the listings as full as
they have been, I'll live without it.  Others here
will disagree, as you know, with that final point.