[NEohioPAL]Boycott the PD, Buy the Beacon Journal

Beth Walsh bethwm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 04:09:42 PST 2005

------=_Part_7699_13346150.1132142982866

I, for one, am not going to boycott the paper based on audition lists. Dail=
newspapers are a critical component of a democratic society, and one thing
is certain: some people don't understand that their job is not free
publicity or even to satisfy customers, so much as to inform and enlighten
them. We have seen so many dailys close in the last two decades, and
circulation numbers are on the decline. The thought of only getting your
news information from the infotainment industries like Fox or from bloggers
is a scary one. It's a shame the PD cannot publish auditions online, but it
is also their call to make as newspaper professionals. Write them, ask them
to reconsider, but put this in perspective. The Beacon Journal is Akron's
paper for Akron area readers; the PD is the Cleveland paper, and our only
major paper in the area. They are both fine papers, and you're lucky if you
leave in an area that both cover, but I don't and I believe the PD is a
critical voice in Cleveland.
 Beth Walsh

 On 11/15/05, kay ABRAHAMSEN <allwritesf01 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Sounds like the acting community ought to show its
> support for the Akron Beacon Journal and help get the
> word out that it's the place to be for casting info
> outside cyberspace. It appears the PD doesn't
> consider auditions or the end product (productions) of
> much value, at least financially and we all know the
> bottom line's the only thing that matters in this day
> and age.
>
> According to PD staffer Tony Brown in his email to
> Neopal of 11/15/05, theatre and audition notices
> aren't worth the PD's time and effort. "The
> conclusion reached by the editors in charge of
> redesigning Friday is that we could better cover the
> arts by getting rid of the auditions list, any edition
> of which might be of interest to a few hundred or even
> a few dozen people qualified for the parts advertised,
> and making way for other kinds of coverage."
>
> Brown also says we can get access PD's listings
> online, so LET'S CANCEL OUR PD SUBSCRIPTIONS AND
> ENCOURAGE OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO DO THE SAME.
> The rest of the PD's contents are online, too.
>
> Christy Meyers
> ______________________________________
> Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540.
> http://www.fredsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm
> Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solel=
> those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact that thi=
> message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the
> administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for =
all
> goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.
>
> NEohioPAL mailing list
> NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com
> http://www.fredsternfeld.com

------=_Part_7699_13346150.1132142982866

 Daily newspapers are a critical component of a democratic society, and one=
 thing is certain: some people don't understand that their job is not free =
publicity or even to satisfy customers, so much as to inform and enlighten =
them. We have seen so many dailys close in the last two decades, and circul=
ation numbers are on the decline. The thought of only getting your new=
s information from the infotainment industries like Fox or from bloggers is=
 a scary one. It's a shame the PD cannot publish auditions online, but it i=
s also their call to make as newspaper professionals. Write them, ask them =
to reconsider, but put this in perspective. The Beacon Journal is Akron's p=
aper for Akron area readers; the PD is the Cleveland paper, and our only ma=
jor paper in the area. They are both fine papers, and you're lucky if =
you leave in an area that both cover, but I don't and I believe the PD=
 is a critical voice in Cleveland.=20
>kay ABRAHAMSEN</b> <<a href=3D"mailto:allwritesf01 at sbcglobal.net">allwr=
itesf01 at sbcglobal.net</a>> wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Sounds like the acting community=
 ought to show its<br>support for the Akron Beacon Journal and help get the
ce.  It appears the PD doesn't<br>consider auditions or the end p=
roduct (productions) of<br>much value, at least financially and we all know=
 the<br>
cording to PD staffer Tony Brown in his email to<br>Neopal of 11/15/05, the=
atre and audition notices<br>aren't worth the PD's time and effort. &n=
bsp;"The
 that we could better cover the<br>arts by getting rid of the auditions lis=
t, any edition<br>of which might be of interest to a few hundred or even
y for other kinds of coverage."<br><br>Brown also says we can get acce=
ss PD's listings<br>online, so LET'S CANCEL OUR PD SUBSCRIPTIONS AND<br>
ENCOURAGE OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO DO THE SAME.<br>The rest of the PD's=
_______________<br>Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center=
 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540.=20
redsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm</a><br>_____________________________=
__________<br>There is a sister site to this list called the "NEoPAL B=
ulletin Board." Occasionally when "hot-button" discussions g=
o on more than a day or two, the bulletin board is used. The Neopal bulleti=
n board also has some other terrific features, like a searchable database f=
or you to put your personal information, a place to post pictures and a cha=
t room with a nightly 11pm gathering to discuss hot topics:=20
The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the=
 person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact th=
at this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by th=
rnfeld.com">NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com</a><br><a href=3D"http://list=