[NEohioPAL]A Courteous Request

FSternfeld at aol.com FSternfeld at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 12:11:01 PST 2006

-------------------------------1138824661

In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:03:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rslotterbeck at hotmail.com writes:

Dear neoPALS,
I do understand that when you are trying to get your notice... well,
NOTICED, making it as visually exciting as possible is very important to you.  I
would like to ask a small favor for future postings. Please be aware that  many
(Okay, several... maybe even just a few) of us have opted to receive this  list
as a journal in mime format - generally for time management reasons or  due to
mailbox size restrictions. When a notice is posted with visual  enhancements
- specifically a background color, that setting frequently  remains the
default setting for the rest of that list. This is not always a  problem - but on
the list that came out today, message #15 from _'marketing at cim.edu'_
(mailto:'marketing at cim.edu')  was posted on a  black background. Very dramatic, I'm
sure... BUT that put the rest of the list  on black background as well - and...
here's the catch... BLACK text on a BLACK  background is INVISIBLE, so the latter
half of the list was lost. The only  parts that could be read were the web
site and e-mail addresses - which are  printed in blue.
Sure there are ways to eventually get the information extracted, but I (and
I assume others) try to scroll through this list, daily, as quickly as
possible to pull the information that will be of benefit to me and get on with  my
day. So here is my request. When posting a notice, PLEASE be aware that  your
presentation can change the way the notices that come after your's will  appear
and keep your notice on white or light colored backgrounds? For those  of us
that get the list in 'mime' - it could save us a lot of time and/or  might
even keep us from missing that one in a million audition notice that  could make
or break our career. (Now who's being dramatic?)
Thanks for your consideration,
Tyson Rand
Cleveland Actor

Thanks Tyson for the suggestion to the list.  I agree  completely.

I want to add something that is on the FAQ's -  instructions how to post,
particulary #2...

How do I post a message to the list?
Send  the message to: neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com . I will know it is
for the  list if you use that address. No request or explanation will be
necessary.  Postings will usually be approved and forwarded within hours after they
are  submitted, but for sure by the end of the day.

1) Send a clear, concise  headline in the subject line including producing
organization, and event (IE -  Auditions for The Tale of the Allergist's Wife at
Dobama Theater).  Remember, I cannot edit your subject line headline. Keep
your headline as  specific as possible -- people will decide whether to open and
read your message  based on the subject line. Also, the software will automat
ically put the prefix  [NEohioPAL] before your subject line when it sends the
message out to the  subscribers. Do not put that in yourself. A suggestion to
help assist  subscribers in deciding whether to open and read your email would
be to put a  prefix before your posting such as: Audition:, Opinion:,
Review:, Sale:,  Career:, Event:, Opening:, etc.

2) Put your  message in the body of the e-mail. No attachments & no graphics.
Some people  have their mailboxes set to not accept attachments and I am wary
of accidentally  forwarding a virus. If you want people to see pictures or be
able to view a  flyer or attachment than you should set them up on a website
and send out the  link with your message. Whether you use aol, microsoft
outlook or another  program, the system will usually but not always translate your
text formatting  (font, point size, centering, color, etc.) in the body of the
 message.

3) Don't send a private message to me with  instructions as everything that
you send will get posted to the list. The system  does not allow me to edit
your message. The mere act of sending your message to  the above address will
tell me you want to post it to the list.

4)  Carefully edit and spell-check your message. Give all the basics: Who,
What,  When, Where and Contact information.

5) If people reply to your message,  it will go directly back to you. The
e-mail address you originate it from will  appear in the reply-to field in the
header.

Complete FAQS here: _http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm_
(http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm)

People often ask me why email with attachments and graphics go out  so often
if they aren't allowed.  It is because I can't always tell that  there are
graphics and attachments.  When I see a new message in the  posting queue it is
in html format and only the first part of the message  appears.

Fred

_http://www.fredsternfeld.com_ (http://www.fredsternfeld.com/)
216-360-0708-home
216-496-6087-cell

-------------------------------1138824661

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:03:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,=20
rslotterbeck at hotmail.com writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><=
FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=
=3D2>
  <P><BR><BR></P>
  <DIV>
  <DIV class=3DRTE>
  <P>Dear neoPALS,</P>
  <P>I do understand that when you are trying to get your notice... well,=20
  NOTICED, making it as visually exciting as possible is very important to y=
ou.=20
  I would like to ask a small favor for future postings. Please be aware tha=
t=20
  many (Okay, several... maybe even just a few) of us have opted to receive=20=
this=20
  list as a journal in mime format - generally for time management reasons o=
r=20
  due to mailbox size restrictions. When a notice is posted with visual=20
  enhancements - specifically a background color, that setting frequently=20
  remains the default setting for the rest of that list. This is not always=20=
a=20
  problem - but on the list that came out today, message #15 from <A=20
  title=3D"mailto:'marketing at cim.edu'"=20
  href=3D"mailto:'marketing at cim.edu'">'marketing at cim.edu'</A> was posted on=20=
a=20
  black background. Very dramatic, I'm sure... BUT that put the rest of the=20=
list=20
  on black background as well - and... here's the catch... BLACK text on a B=
LACK=20
  background is INVISIBLE, so the latter half of the list was lost. The only=
=20
  parts that could be read were the web site and e-mail addresses - which ar=
e=20
  printed in blue.</P>
  <P>Sure there are ways to eventually get the information extracted, but I=20=
(and=20
  I assume others) try to scroll through this list, daily, as quickly as=20
  possible to pull the information that will be of benefit to me and get on=20=
with=20
  my day. So here is my request. When posting a notice, PLEASE be aware that=
=20
  your presentation can change the way the notices that come after your's wi=
ll=20
  appear and keep your notice on white or light colored backgrounds? For tho=
se=20
  of us that get the list in 'mime' - it could save us a lot of time and/or=20
  might even keep us from missing that one in a million audition notice that=
=20
  could make or break our career. (Now who's being dramatic?)</P>
  <P>Thanks for your consideration,</P>
  <P>Tyson Rand</P>
  <P>Cleveland Actor </P></DIV></DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Thanks Tyson for the suggestion to the list.  I agree=20
completely.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT color=3D#ff0000>I want to add something that is on the FA=
Q's -=20
instructions how to post, particulary #2...</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>How do I post a message to the list?<BR></STRONG=
>Send=20
the message to: neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com . I will know it is for th=
e=20
list if you use that address. No request or explanation will be necessary.=20
Postings will usually be approved and forwarded within hours after they are=20
submitted, but for sure by the end of the day.<BR><BR>1) Send a clear, conci=
se=20
headline in the subject line including producing organization, and event (IE=
 -=20
Auditions for <EM>The Tale of the Allergist's Wife</EM> at Dobama Theater).=20
Remember, I cannot edit your subject line headline. Keep your headline as=20
specific as possible -- people will decide whether to open and read your mes=
sage=20
based on the subject line. Also, the software will automatically put the pre=
fix=20
[NEohioPAL] before your subject line when it sends the message out to the=20
subscribers. Do not put that in yourself. A suggestion to help assist=20
subscribers in deciding whether to open and read your email would be to put=20=
a=20
prefix before your posting such as: Audition:, Opinion:, Review:, Sale:,=20
Career:, Event:, Opening:, etc. <BR><BR><FONT color=3D#0000ff><STRONG>2) Put=
 your=20
message in the body of the e-mail. No attachments & no graphics. Some pe=
ople=20
have their mailboxes set to not accept attachments and I am wary of accident=
ally=20
forwarding a virus. If you want people to see pictures or be able to view a=20
flyer or attachment than you should set them up on a website and send out th=
e=20
link with your message. Whether you use aol, microsoft outlook or another=20
program, the system will usually but not always translate your text formatti=
ng=20
(font, point size, centering, color, etc.) in the body of the=20
message.</STRONG></FONT><BR><BR>3) Don't send a private message to me with=20
instructions as everything that you send will get posted to the list. The sy=
stem=20
does not allow me to edit your message. The mere act of sending your message=
 to=20
the above address will tell me you want to post it to the list.<BR><BR>4)=20
Carefully edit and spell-check your message. Give all the basics: Who, What,=
=20
When, Where and Contact information.<BR><BR>5) If people reply to your messa=
ge,=20
it will go directly back to you. The e-mail address you originate it from wi=
ll=20
appear in the reply-to field in the header.</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Complete FAQS here: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm">http://www.fredsternfeld.com/=
faqs.htm</A></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>People often ask me why email with attachments and graphics go=20=
out=20
so often if they aren't allowed.  It is because I can't always tell tha=
t=20
there are graphics and attachments.  When I see a new message in the=20
posting queue it is in html format and only the first part of the message=20
appears.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Edwardian Script ITC" size=3D7 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT"=
=20
PTSIZE=3D"36"><B>Fred</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=
=3D3=20
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12"></B><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.fredsternfeld.com/">http://www.fredsternfeld.com</A><BR>2=
16-360-0708-home<BR>216-496-6087-cell</FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>