[NEohioPAL]Theatre Question

Justin Brenis masterchu2076 at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 12:02:15 PDT 2006

Dear Joe,

I find that in life the best thing one can do to feel accomplished is to
pass along sage advice we acquire and hope that in the long run it can help
someone else. Luckily your question has given me yet another opportunity to
do so.

I am 19 years old, and I have only been acting for about 3 years now in the
community circuit. A friend of mine who is a director, her name is Katherine
Tonti, always alerts me of auditions in the area that I may have missed on
the NEOPAL list, as well as other ones that were not posted.

However, not all the auditions that she tells me about, and that I go to,
have roles available for me. Whether it be my age, my physical appearance,
or even precasting, I still go to these auditions because as Kate always
tells me, "while acting experience is well and good, there is nothing more
valuable then audition experience."

This is very true. I don't know jhow long you've been involved in theater,
but while being on stage is nice, and looks great on a resume the best
practice to land those roles in the future is to go to as many auditions for
as many different roles as you possibly can. Even if you know that you
cannot be cast in this particular performance no matter what, there are so
many benefits you gain from it.

The first of course is experience. You learn what monolouges work really
well for you, and which don't...the same with musical numbers if it's a
musical audition. Secondly, and even more importantly is exposure and
recognition. The directors I have run into while gaining audition experience
find it very impressive that I come out and audition even though I cannot
get the role, and that sticks with them. So then if they know someone who is
looking to fill a part, they might pass your resume on, or keep you in mind
for their next performance.

Its a win-win situation no matter how you look at it. So while I'll wind
this long-winded answer up with a "yes you should audition" I just thought
I'd give you some good reasons as to why.

If there's any other answers you need let me know,
Justin