[NEohioPAL]CLAGUE PLAYHOUSE AUDITIONS FOR "SPITFIRE GRIL"L:

mary slowey mslowey at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 12:42:27 PDT 2006

--0-2103444205-1151437347=:462

  CLAGUE PLAYHOUSE
  1371 CLAGUE ROAD
  WESTLAKE, OH 44145
  440-331-0403
  www.clagueplayhouse.org

  EARLY AUDITON NOTICE
  THE SPITFIRE GRILL
  Music & Book by James Valco
  Lyrics & Book by Fred Alley
  Based on the film by Lee David Zlotoff
  Directed by Don Irven
  "One of the five best musicals of 2001" – New York Magazine
  Nominated for "Outstanding Off-Broadway Musical" – New York Outer Critics Circle

  Auditions will be held for the Northwest Cleveland premiere of the musical, The Spitfire Grill on August 14 & 15 at 7:30pm at the Clague Playhouse. The theatre is located at 1371 Clague Road in Westlake. The theatre is a wonderful and intimate 93 seat performance space. Performances are scheduled for a four week run starting November 10 through December 3, 2006.
  THE STORY
  A warm and engaging intimate character-driven musical, The Spitfire Grill celebrates the passionate story of hope and redemption. The musical is based on the 1996 film of the same name and won the coveted Richard Rodgers Production Award and was nominated for multiple awards when it premiered Off Broadway in 2001. The music is unique in that it transports the audience from inside the café to the great outdoors that is Gilead, a sleepy Wisconsin town. It is a compelling tale of romance, friendship and broken hearts mingled with themes of starting anew and the bliss of small-town America. The music is rife with the sounds of folk, guitars, fiddles and Broadway ballads.

  THE CHARACTERS
  PERCY TALBOTT – (early 20s to 30s) Pretty, if a bit rough-edged, her face declares the strength of her youth and sadness beyond her years. Voice: mostly folk/country belt to D with some higher range lyrical singing as well.
  HANNAH FERGUSON – (50s on up) A tough-skinned and flinty old bird with a short, no-nonsense manner bordering on the bitter. VOICE: Mezzo-soprano or alto range.
  EFFY KRAYNECK (30s on up) Postmistress and busy body; a woman with narrow eyes and a sour tongue. VOICE: solid singer in mezzo/alto chest range; carries close harmony.
  SHELBY THORP (mid 20s to 30s) Caleb’s wife. A plain soft-faced creature with a shy, almost ethereal manner. VOICE: shimmering folk soprano with a strong high belt to D.
  CALEB THORP (30s) Hannah’s nephew and Shelby’s husband. Out-of-work foreman of the local stone quarry. Frustrated working man clinging to the past. VOICE: solid baritone voice with an edge to a G.
  SHERIFF JOE SUTTER (mid 20s to 30s) Attracted to Percy. A young small-town policeman with an appealing intensity and a restless nature. VOICE: strong folk tenor to a G (touches an A).
  THE VISITOR (mid 40s) A mysterious figure who never speaks or sings; must have powerful eyes and a strong physical presence. Limited rehearsals.
  (All ages listed for the characters are approximate only and may vary with the final casting.)
  All auditions begin at 7:30pm. Please bring with you a resume and an audition photo – otherwise a photo will be taken of you at the audition. Please bring with you a musical selection that bests shows your talent. Readings will be from the script. Scripts are available from the theatre and can be checked out. Call the box office at 440-331-0403 for additional information. The box office is open from Wed through Sat from 1pm to 6pm. Any additional questions please email the director at donirven at aol.com.

--0-2103444205-1151437347=:462

 at 7:30pm at the Clague Playhouse. The theatre is located at 1371 Clague Road in Westlake. The theatre is a wonderful and intimate 93 seat performance space. Performances are scheduled for a four week run starting November 10 through December 3, 2006. </div><B><U>  <div>THE STORY</div></B></U>  <div>A warm and engaging intimate character-driven musical, <I>The Spitfire Grill</I> celebrates the passionate story of hope and redemption. The musical is based on the 1996 film of the same name and won the coveted Richard Rodgers Production Award and was nominated for multiple awards when it premiered Off Broadway in 2001. The music is unique in that it transports the audience from inside the café to the great outdoors that is Gilead, a sleepy Wisconsin town. It is a compelling tale of romance, friendship and broken hearts mingled with themes of starting anew and the bliss of small-town America. The music is rife with the sounds of folk, guitars, fiddles and Broadway ballads.
 Frustrated working man clinging to the past. VOICE: solid baritone voice with an edge to a G.</div><I>  <div>SHERIFF JOE SUTTER</I> (mid 20s to 30s) Attracted to Percy. A young small-town policeman with an appealing intensity and a restless nature. VOICE: strong folk tenor to a G (touches an A).</div><I>  <div>THE VISITOR</I> (mid 40s) A mysterious figure who never speaks or sings; must have powerful eyes and a strong physical presence. Limited rehearsals.</div><FONT size=2>  <div>(All ages listed for the characters are approximate only and may vary with the final casting.)</div></FONT>  <div>All auditions begin at 7:30pm. Please bring with you a resume and an audition photo – otherwise a photo will be taken of you at the audition. Please bring with you a musical selection that bests shows your talent. Readings will be from the script. Scripts are available from the theatre and can be checked out. Call the box office at 440-331-0403 for additional information. The box
 office is open from Wed through Sat from 1pm to 6pm. Any additional questions please email the director at <I>donirven at aol.com.</div></I>
--0-2103444205-1151437347=:462--