[NEohioPAL]a quick comment on Urinetown

Gross, Sheri SGross at CleveJcc.Org
Wed Nov 8 06:30:31 PST 2006

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70342.71ED5B8D

Hi everyone....I don't tend to get involved with these discussions, but
I couldn't help myself this time. =20

=20

This is a tough one, because I believe that there may be some theatre
organizations that ---if they were to produce Urinetown with
teenagers---may not approach it in a responsible way.  I happen to be
totally on board with producing "edgier" theatre with teens if it can be
done with enough communication and education. =20

=20

As someone who is extremely familiar with Stagecrafters, its directors
and participants, I can tell you that this production will be handled
with respect, maturity and professionalism.  I am the director of a
youth theatre program that produces shows as benign as Joseph, You're a
Good Man Charlie Brown and Fiddler....but I have also been fortunate
enough to have directed uncensored teen versions of A Chorus Line and
Cabaret---the latter dealing with Naziism, homosexuality, abortion...you
name it.  I think the casts have walked away with new and important
knowledge, new perspectives and a lot of pride.=20

=20

I understand the concerns that Ms. Smith might have about teens being
exposed to this more adult material-with the wrong team of people...but
as I have stated---when approached by the right people in the right way,
everyone wins!  Good luck to Stagecrafters...I'm sure the product and
process will be wonderful!=20

=20

--Sheri Gross

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70342.71ED5B8D

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Hi everyone….I don’t tend to get involved =
with
these discussions, but I couldn’t help myself this time.  =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>This is a tough one, because I believe that there may =
be
some theatre organizations that ---if they were to produce Urinetown =
with
teenagers---may not approach it in a responsible way.  I happen to =
be
totally on board with producing “edgier” theatre with teens =
if it
can be done with enough communication and education.  =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>As someone who is extremely familiar with =
Stagecrafters, its
directors and participants, I can tell you that this production will be =
handled
with respect, maturity and professionalism.  I am the director of a =
youth
theatre program that produces shows as benign as <i><span =
style=3D'font-style:
italic'>Joseph, You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown and =
Fiddler</span></i>….but
I have also been fortunate enough to have directed uncensored teen =
versions of <i><span
style=3D'font-style:italic'>Cabaret</span></i>---the latter dealing with =
Naziism,
homosexuality, abortion…you name it.  I think the casts have =
walked
away with new and important knowledge, new perspectives and a lot of =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I understand the concerns that Ms. Smith might have =
about teens
being exposed to this more adult material—with the wrong team of =
people…but
as I have stated---when approached by the right people in the right way, =
everyone
wins!  Good luck to Stagecrafters…I’m sure the product =
and <b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>process</span></b> will be wonderful! =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70342.71ED5B8D--