[NEohioPAL]The smoking ban

jaimee.davis at thomson.com jaimee.davis at thomson.com
Mon Nov 20 05:14:59 PST 2006

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70CA5.E1B9E9E2

Mr. Lawrence,=20

=20

I'm sorry to read that you are labeling those who want to be able to
breathe in public as "Nazis." We're not the ones with the power to hurt
people with our actions; surely you are aware of the negative effects of
secondhand smoke? Your post brings to mind an adage I was taught as a
child: your right to hit me ends at the tip of my nose with my right to
not be hit. I believe in personal freedom as much as the next person,
and I recognize that smoking is still legal. That's fine; you can smoke
as much as you want in any place where I don't have to breathe it in! I
can't tell you the number of times I've become sick from going out to
eat in a public place where the smoking section was barely separate from
the nonsmoking section. The way I see it, we both have the RIGHT to go
out to eat. If you want the additional right to smoke while you're out
to eat, it is equally justifiable for me to want the right to not inhale
others' smoke. If your smoking would somehow not affect me, I'm sure
this would be a moot point.=20

=20

While I appreciate your effort to organize others in a boycott against
restaurants, you may find yourself disappointed. I was in college in PA
when many local restaurants disallowed smoking. For a while, business in
the "after-bar" hours hurt, but eventually a new clientele began to
frequent those restaurants: people who had previously been physically
unable to do so before because of smokers. How lucky for those on oxygen
or with bad asthma like mine!

=20

With all due respect, sir, please do smoke as you please; just respect
the rights of those of us who don't want to have to smoke with you.=20

=20

Respectfully,=20

~Jaimee Davis, asthmatic