[NEohioPAL]Standing Rock Short Film Fest at Kent Stage

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Tue Jan 9 11:45:35 PST 2007

--MS_Mac_OE_3251198735_651999_MIME_Part

Greetings,

WHO:  STANDING ROCK CULTURAL ARTS

WHAT:  4th ANNUAL STANDING ROCK INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM & VIDEO FESTIVAL.
-Short films from as far away as Australia and as near as Kent, Ohio
-Animations, Music Videos, Documentaries, Video Collages
-Featuring Local Filmmaker and Instructor Cindy Penter,in person
-Featuring YouTube Underground Film Fest Winner Ryan Divine of  =B3Maldroid=B2
-Featuring Brett Ingram/Film Instructor at University of North Carolina
-Featuring Italian Animator Marco Morandi
-Featuring Australian Animator Peter Lowey
-Featuring a Live Film Soundtrack with local tabla phenomenon Joe Culley

WHEN: JANUARY 27th, 2007  8pm at

WHERE: THE KENT STAGE, 175 E. MAIN ST., KENT, OHIO
-http://www.kentstage.org/

COST:  $10.00 General Admission/$7.00 Student/Seniors
-Tickets available at www.kentstage.org, The Kent Stage, Woodsy's Music, Th=
North Water Street Gallery, and SpinMore Records.  Or at the door.

INFO:    330-673-4970 or write to info at standingrock.net

Updates:  www.standingrock.net

This year=B9s festival is full of excitement and surprises as we introduce
some fresh talent mixing it up with some seasoned pros.  As technology
advances, so does the adventurous mind of the video and film makers around
the world.    From the highways of Akron, to the shores of Australia, and t=
the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, this is the journey of the independent
film maker.  Come join us for the ride.

Our featured filmmaker is Cynthia Penter.  She is an adjunct faculty member
in the Film, Video and Photographic Arts department at The Cleveland
Institute of Art and in the School of Communication at Cleveland State
University. She received her B.F.A in Studio Art from Kent State University
as well as her Masters in Cinematography. She has taught at Kent State
University, Cleveland Public Schools, Cleveland Filmmakers and Cleveland
Film Society Workshops. In 1981 Cynthia won first prize for the film =B3Dream
Dance=B2 at the Cleveland International Film Festival in the Ohio Filmmakers
Competition. Her work has shown in numerous other festivals. She has
received several Individual Artist Fellowships from the Ohio Arts Council, =
Regional American Film Institute Fellowship and had artist residencies four
times at the Experimental Television Center in Upstate New York and three
times at Lake Erie College=B9s 48 Hours of Making Art.

Her interests range from dance to documentary to social activism. She works
in film, photographic, video, and digital formats. She continues to make
personal, experimental work in a variety of media.

Other Featured Filmmakers

Ryan Divine:  Ryan is a musician as well as an animator and a member of the
band Maldroid.  Maldroid was formed in Oakland in March 2006 to combat the
crap that's taken over the airwaves.  As their website states,  =B3Maldroid i=
as DIY as it gets. We write, record and produce all of their own records,
and we write, direct and animate our own music videos. We believe technolog=
creates these opportunities... but will ultimately destroy us. . The Future
is NOW. The Future is Maldroid. The Revolution has begun. Don't let it catc=
you with your pants down.  More info can be found at:
www.maldroid.com

Marco Morandi:  Mr. Morandi got his degree at the University of Cinema in
Italy. He works with digital animation, 2D and 3D characters. He also works
with live shots and super8. His latest animated video is for "OPUS 23" the
song from Piano solos Vol.2 by Dustin O'Halloran. This song is included in
the soundtrack of Sofia Coppola's last movie: "Marie Antoinette". Enjoy it!
More info can be found at:  www.myspace.com/marcomorandi

Peter Lowey:  Peter Lowey is an Australian 2d animator whose work takes the
viewer on a surreal journey where one meets fantastical characters in fluid
landscapes.  More info:
www.myspace.com/peterlowey

Cindy Penter Films fFor The Standing Rock Film Fest:

Don't Fade Away (Old Hippies Never Die)    shortened version, in progress
   Also known as The Farm Film. Portrait of a communal family.  The Humping
Heifer Farm existed in Ravenna, Ohio almost 30 years ago. We were young, we
wanted a different kind of life and we became a family. Combination of live
action and still photography.  Garden dance.  And bad jokes.  Music by I'M =
TATTOO band, Old Wave music.

Gotta Dance / Moving Movie Montage      15 min.2007
   This a compilation of my work in  film, video & digital video that
focuses on movement and dance. Cut from 15 pieces made between 1979 and
2006.

Quilt Square for Diane    shortened version, 2000
   A souvenir portrait of a friend, a tribute to her life.  In 1989 Diane
died of AIDS.  This is not the entire story.  With love.  Excerpts from my
films, Doreeya Luna / Pira Luna (1982) and Images of Women (1985), as well
as the dance number from On the Town and the lament from Madame Butterfly.
Original music by Julie Akerlund. Additional images  by Diane Hunt and Amy
Burt. Poems by Diane performed by Alice Cone and Major Ragain.

Trailer from:
The Winds of Minoa:  One Small Island    3 min., in progress
   A rhythmical portrait film about, as the title says, one small island in
the Aegean sea.  It is also a meditation on my own life and the continuatio=
of life on our planet.  Music from O Megalos Erotikos, a ballet by Maurice
B=E9jart, music by Manou Xatzidaki.  Optical printer effects, text, and mixin=
of music, sound effects and narration.

Thank you for supporting independent filmmakers!

Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970
info at standingrock.net
www.standingrock.net

--MS_Mac_OE_3251198735_651999_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Standing Rock Short Film Fest at Kent Stage</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
WHO:  STANDING ROCK CULTURAL ARTS <BR>
</B><BR>
<B>WHAT:  4th ANNUAL STANDING ROCK INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM & VIDE=
O FESTIVAL.    <BR>
</B>-Short films from as far away as Australia and as near as Kent, Ohio<BR=

-Animations, Music Videos, Documentaries, Video Collages<BR>
-Featuring Local Filmmaker and Instructor Cindy Penter,in person<BR>
-Featuring YouTube Underground Film Fest Winner Ryan Divine of  =B3Maldr=
oid=B2<BR>
-Featuring Brett Ingram/Film Instructor at University of North Carolina<BR>
-Featuring Italian Animator Marco Morandi<BR>
-Featuring Australian Animator Peter Lowey<BR>
-Featuring a Live Film Soundtrack with local tabla phenomenon Joe Culley<BR=

<B><BR>
WHEN: JANUARY 27th, 2007  8pm at<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>WHERE: THE KENT STAGE, 175 E. MAIN ST., KENT, OHIO<BR>
</B>-http://www.kentstage.org/<BR>
<BR>
<B>COST:  $10.00 General Admission/$7.00 Student/Seniors<BR>
-Tickets available at www.kentstage.org, The Kent Stage, Woodsy's Music, Th=
e North Water Street Gallery, and SpinMore Records.  Or at the door.<BR=

</B><BR>
<B>INFO:    330-673-4970 or write to info at standingrock.net<B=

<BR>
Updates:  www.standingrock.net<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>This year=B9s festival is full of excitement and surprises as we introduce=
 some fresh talent mixing it up with some seasoned pros.  As technology=
 advances, so does the adventurous mind of the video and film makers around =
the world.    From the highways of Akron, to the shores of Au=
stralia, and to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, this is the journey of =
the independent film maker.  Come join us for the ride.<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>Our featured filmmaker is Cynthia Penter</B>.  She is an adjunct fa=
culty member in the Film, Video and Photographic Arts department at The Clev=
eland Institute of Art and in the School of Communication at Cleveland State=
 University. She received her B.F.A in Studio Art from Kent State University=
 as well as her Masters in Cinematography. She has taught at Kent State Univ=
ersity, Cleveland Public Schools, Cleveland Filmmakers and Cleveland Film So=
ciety Workshops. In 1981 Cynthia won first prize for the film =B3Dream Dance=B2 =
at the Cleveland International Film Festival in the Ohio Filmmakers Competit=
ion. Her work has shown in numerous other festivals. She has received severa=
l Individual Artist Fellowships from the Ohio Arts Council, a Regional Ameri=
can Film Institute Fellowship and had artist residencies four times at the E=
xperimental Television Center in Upstate New York and three times at Lake Er=
ie College=B9s 48 Hours of Making Art.<BR>
<BR>
Her interests range from dance to documentary to social activism. She works=
 in film, photographic, video, and digital formats. She continues to make pe=
rsonal, experimental work in a variety of media.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Other Featured Filmmakers<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>Ryan Divine:</B>  Ryan is a musician as well as an animator and a m=
ember of the band Maldroid.  Maldroid was formed in Oakland in March 20=
06 to combat the crap that's taken over the airwaves.  As their website=
 states,  =B3Maldroid is as DIY as it gets. We write, record and produce =
all of their own records, and we write, direct and animate our own music vid=
eos. We believe technology creates these opportunities... but will ultimatel=
y destroy us. . The Future is NOW. The Future is Maldroid. The Revolution ha=
s begun. Don't let it catch you with your pants down.  More info can be=
 found at:<BR>
www.maldroid.com<BR>
<BR>
<B>Marco Morandi</B>:  Mr. Morandi got his degree at the University of=
 Cinema in Italy. He works with digital animation, 2D and 3D characters. He =
also works with live shots and super8. His latest animated video is for &quo=
t;OPUS 23" the song from Piano solos Vol.2 by Dustin O'Halloran. This s=
ong is included in the soundtrack of Sofia Coppola's last movie: "Marie=
 Antoinette". Enjoy it!  More info can be found at:  www.mysp=
ace.com/marcomorandi  <BR>
<BR>
<B>Peter Lowey</B>:  Peter Lowey is an Australian 2d animator whose wo=
rk takes the viewer on a surreal journey where one meets fantastical charact=
ers in fluid landscapes.  More info:<BR>
www.myspace.com/peterlowey<BR>
<BR>
<B>Cindy Penter Films fFor The Standing Rock Film Fest:</B> <BR>
 <BR>
<B>Don't Fade Away (Old Hippies Never Die)</B>    shortened =
version, in progress<BR>
    Also known as The Farm Film. Portrait of a communal fami=
ly.  The Humping Heifer Farm existed in Ravenna, Ohio almost 30 years a=
go. We were young, we wanted a different kind of life and we became a family=
. Combination of live action and still photography.  Garden dance. &nbs=
p;And bad jokes.  Music by I'M A TATTOO band, Old Wave music.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Gotta Dance / Moving Movie Montage   </B>   15 min.2=
007<BR>
    This a compilation of my work in  film, video &=
 digital video that focuses on movement and dance. Cut from 15 pieces made b=
etween 1979 and 2006.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Quilt Square for Diane</B>    shortened version, 2000<BR>
    A souvenir portrait of a friend, a tribute to her life. =
 In 1989 Diane died of AIDS.  This is not the entire story.  =
With love.  Excerpts from my films, Doreeya Luna / Pira Luna (1982) and=
 Images of Women (1985), as well as the dance number from On the Town and th=
e lament from Madame Butterfly. Original music by Julie Akerlund. Additional=
 images  by Diane Hunt and Amy Burt. Poems by Diane performed by Alice =
Cone and Major Ragain. <BR>
<BR>
<B>Trailer from:<BR>
The Winds of Minoa:  One Small Island  </B>  3 min., in prog=
ress<BR>
    A rhythmical portrait film about, as the title says, one=
 small island in the Aegean sea.  It is also a meditation on my own lif=
e and the continuation of life on our planet.  Music from O Megalos Ero=
tikos, a ballet by Maurice B=E9jart, music by Manou Xatzidaki.  Optical p=
rinter effects, text, and mixing of music, sound effects and narration. <BR>
<BR>
<B>Thank you for supporting independent filmmakers!<BR>
</B><BR>
Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
257 N. Water St.<BR>
Kent, OH 44240<BR>
330-673-4970<BR>
info at standingrock.net<BR>
www.standingrock.net<BR>
<BR>
<B><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</B>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3251198735_651999_MIME_Part--