[NEohioPAL] Mike & Ike on Rocky Horror vs. Evil Dead

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 03:51:10 PDT 2008

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING ANALYSIS IS 67% OPRAH FREE

  Mike: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.

  Ike: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike. Ya know, George Reinblatt has some pretty big balls.

  M:  Which we almost saw when we interviewed him, but that’s a story for another bong.

  I:  Not only, for his first musical, does he write the book, lyrics, and some of the music, not only does he use as subject matter the greatest cult film series of ‘em all, not only is his first musical THE GREATEST PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY PERIOD, but within it, he takes a jab at what is considered the greatest cult musical of ‘em all.

  M:  In the song “Do the Necronomicon,” for those of you who don’t know, there is the line “It’s just like the Time Warp . . . only better.”  Well, quite probably ever since the infamous “blackout premiere,” critics have been comparing the two shows, either calling it “the next Rocky Horror” or saying that it tries to “out Rocky Rocky Horror” and fails.

  I:  In our capacity as officially acknowledged “unofficial spokeswhores for Evil Dead-The Musical,” and knowing both shows quite well, we would like ta end the debate right here and now.

  M:  Rocky Horror cannot hold a diamond encrusted dildo to Evil Dead, and in fact should never have achieved the cult status that it has.

  I:  Why is Rocky Horror such a huge thing?  Is it the play?  Hell, no!  By itself, all it has is a couple of catchy tunes and cross dressin’ before La Cage Aux Folles made it theatrically acceptable.

  M:  Is it the film?  Hell, no!  It has almost the same running time as the play, yet somehow manages to feel three hours longer.

  I:  No, what has made Rocky Horror inta the cult that it is is the fans and the fans ONLY!  They started throwin’ stuff.  They turned it inta MST3K-Y.  And have ya noticed, whenever the play is done, people throw stuff and they always have plants sayin’ lines.

  M:  And why is that?  BECAUSE THE SHOW IS FRAKKING BORING WITHOUT THEM!

  I:  And can someone please tell me why fans seem ta think the message of the show is “don’t dream it, be it.”  Everybody who follows that philosophy either dies or is emotionally scarred forever at the end.  It’s almost Friday the 13th-The Musical when it comes ta sex.

  M:  But with Evil Dead, there is no lofty message, no misinterpreted themes, and most importantly, no reason for the audience to try and make it better.  Unlike Rocky Horror, they don’t have to.  They’re there just to have a good time, and judging from the awards and the run extensions for every production so far, people are.

  I:  And all that cause a George Reinblatt’s balls.

  M:  And we say thank God for them both.

  I:  Namaste.