[NEohioPAL] CPT now accepting applications for Big [BOX] 2010!

Mindy Herman MHerman at cptonline.org
Mon May 11 12:38:47 PDT 2009

Big [BOX]

Deadline for submissions is June 5, 2009.

CPT is gearing up for the 09-10 Season. The centerpiece of our season is Big [BOX], our successful series that promotes new performance projects by local artists. For more information on Big [BOX] please visit http://www.cptonline.org/cleveland-public-theater-big-box.php.

Big [BOX] offers artists or groups the opportunity to self-produce their own works. Big [BOX] is about whatever the artist wants to focus on.  We open the doors and let the artist experiment, charting their own course, making their own decisions, taking their own risks.

How Big [BOX] Works

CPT will select six or more artists/groups to be part of Big [BOX]. Each of these artists/groups gets the James Levin Theatre (upstairs) for one week, Monday through Sunday. Performances are Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm and Sundays at 3pm. This year's series will be offered January - February, 2010.

Big [BOX] is not about huge production values. It's more about the performance.  The artist shouldn't get too caught up in elaborate plans because they don't have much time in the space. But don't confuse minimalism and resourcefulness with lack of style and quality.  We ask that all set pieces be portable in case the show needs to be struck to make the stage available for a late night performance. The space is set up with a rep lighting plot suitable for theatre and dance.  Each artist will have a few specials that can be moved around for their particular needs, but the lighting plot must remain intact.  Color may be changed.

Each project will be paid a minimum guarantee of $600 ($400 for double bill) against gross box office split of 50/50 (30/30/40 for double bills). For example if a project makes $100 at the box office the project will still get $600. If the box office is $4000, the project will get a total of $2000.

Although we will produce a direct mail piece advertising all of the artists/groups, it is up to the individual artist to promote his or her own show.  We will send out a press release for listings only, provide flyer templates, use of copy machine, and may be able to help with distribution. Since the work being done is in development, there will be no critics invited.  However, critics have attended and written about work in the past, clearly stating that the work is in process.

There will be a Big [BOX] Stage Manager, box office and house staff, but it is up to each artist to provide their own artistic collaborators and any additional technical staff needed.

This is a chance for us to get to know an artist's work or new work by artists we already know.

Who gets selected?

In selecting works for this series we look at a number of factors:

Has the artist/group demonstrated the ability to produce the proposed work? We aren't looking for top notch producers, but we do want to feel confident that the artist/group has a clear understanding of what it takes to pull off a show, and that they understand how to assess their own capacity.

All artistic enterprises require risk and there are no guarantees. However, it's important to demonstrate a level of artistic excellence and an understanding of artistry. This might be demonstrated in a work sample, resume of artist, script of past or current work, or in a project summary.

Is the work adventurous and new? CPT has a history of producing work that no one else in town will produce because it is somehow "outside the box." The work doesn't need to be experimental or weird (though that is fine too), but it does need to be relevant and compelling.

How will Big [BOX] impact the applicant professionally and artistically? CPT wants to have a real impact on the community and provide resources to artists who will most benefit.

If you would like to be considered for the 2009-10 Big [BOX] Series, please fill out the attached application form, or you can request an application at Artistic at cptonline.org.

Little Box

Because of the success of Big [BOX] and in response to requests from artists, CPT initiated Little Box, a scaled down version of Big [BOX] offered in the fall. With Little Box artists get one evening to share a work-in-progress or staged-reading showing of new work. Artists receive a $100 stipend.  Little Box has a separate application process with a deadline of July 10, but artists may  request to have their Big Box application submitted to Little Box as well, so they do not have to apply twice.

Deadline for submissions is June 5, 2009.

Big [BOX] Past Artists

2008-09

Faye Hargate and Jeremy Paul - The Beetlebug and the Bad Worm

Danielle Hisey and Katherine Kurre - Kissmet

Bianca Sams - Summer Nights and Fireflies

David Hansen - And Then You Die

Jeff Glover - Claus for a Moment

MegLouise Dance - Nearly Nude

FiveOne, Carly Dorman and Sara Lawrence - BACKspace

Lisa Langford - InCogNegro

Margi Herwald Zitelli - Unethical

2007-08

Steve Maitros - Modern Problems

Anne McEvoy - Crashing Through Ceilings

MeganLouise Dance - Companions

Scott Plate - The One Who

Barbara Becker - Ictus

Michael Williams - The Josie Project

Jason Mullin - The Greatest Story Ever Told

Hy Life - De Vices

Kalindi Stockton and Maree ReMalia - vis-à-vis

Deborah Magid - Costumbrismo, or Khandihba Wars

2006-07

Mike Geither-Living Tall

Mike Sepesy and Alison Garrigan-Ms. Adventures

Lisa Siciliano and Dawn Youngs-When the Wind Blows

Najaa Young-The Future of the Funk

Lisa K. Lock-Without Feathers

Amy Notley-Sucking the Life

Mary Weems and Tony Sias-Wearing Rainbows and Numbers

Double Edge Dance-Fault Lines

Trad Burns and Elizabeth Woods-My Name is Rachel Corrie

2005-06

Myron J. Lewis and Jaqi Loewy-Mr. Lewis Rules

Daniel Elihu Kramer-Love Suicide

Lynn Deering and Chris DiCello-Coming of Age

Eric Alleman-New American Appliances

Joe Booth-Family Outing

2004-05

Aaron Rapljenovic and Zoe Schultz - GEMini

David Hansen - The Vampyres

Ryan Lott - Connect, A Party in 3 Acts

Perren Hedderson - Apply Within

Nina Domingue - Mo Pas Connin

Mike Geither - Citizenship in the Nation

2003-04

Eclectic Circus

Alex P. Michaels - The M.A.N.

Sarah Morton - 4 Minutes to Happy

2002-03

Antaeus Dance

Christopher Johnston - Theories of Relativity

InLet Dance Theatre

Michael D. Sepesy - Loserville

David Hansen - I Hate This

Wild Plum Productions

Titlewave Theatre - Charge

Aaron Rapljenovic and Robert Wesner - White River Crossing

Big [BOX] 2010 APPLICATION

Deadline: June 5, 2009

Thank you for your interest in Big [BOX]. Please complete the application and submit it with your supplemental materials and a work sample (if available) to: Attn: Big [BOX], Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland OH  44102

Name/Group______________________________________________________________

Contact Name________________________________________________________________

Address____________________________________________________________________

Phone________________ Cell________________ E-Mail________________

Artistic Discipline (e.g. music, theatre, dance, puppetry, etc.)_____________

Title of Work/Show_________________________________________________________

Length of piece/event ______________________________________________________

Requested performance dates in order of preference (January - February, 2010):

Attach up to two sheets for the following:

1) Describe the project. (Who will be involved, what is the basis for the piece, how do you currently envision it?)

2) What are your production needs? (stage, lighting, special effects, etc)

3) How will participation in Big [BOX] impact you as an artist and the growth of the proposed piece?

4) What is your background and experience that gives you confidence that you can complete this project? What skills do you have to be able to produce the work?

5) Sometimes CPT pairs up artists or groups with shorter works to maximize box office and space. Would you be willing to participate if you were on a double bill?

6) If not selected for Big [BOX] would you like your application to be submitted for Little Box?

Supplementary Materials: Include any additional information to support your application including resume, bio, script, treatment, artistic statement, etc.

Work Sample: Include work samples such as video, photos, past scripts, etc. Please label the sample clearly so we know how to relate the sample to the proposal.

Materials will not be returned to applicants.

Mindy Herman

Communications Director

Cleveland Public Theatre

6415 Detroit Ave.