[NEohioPAL] Mike & Ike review Beck Center's Evil Dead-The Musical + a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 16:20:31 PDT 2009

WARNING:  THERE IS NO WARNING

Mike: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.

Ike: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike.  As most of you may know, since we repeat it every frakkin’ chance we get, we are

M&I: (Together) THE OFFICIALLY ACKNOWLEDGED UNOFFICIAL SPOKESWHORES FOR EVIL DEAD-THE MUSICAL

M:  Which is

M&I: (Together) THE GREATEST PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY PERIOD.

I:  Yes, the all caps are necessary.  Deal.

M:  In that capacity, we interviewed the cast of the 2006 New York production, as well as the director and writer.

I:  And reviewed it.

M:  We interviewed writer George Reinblatt again, this time on video, when we saw the show in Toronto back in 2007, as well as several members of the cast.

I:  And reviewed it.

M:  And, of course, we’ve been babbling incessantly about the production at the Beck Center since before auditions.

I:  Well, this past Friday it opened.

M:  And we were there.

I:  Front row, baby!

M:  And we can say, quite sincerely, that Beck’s is officially the best version we’ve seen.

I:  How do we love thee?  Let us count the ways.

M:  The New York and Toronto productions were very large and elaborate.

I:  Hinton Battle, anyone?

M:  The Beck Center’s production is done in their studio theatre, under 100 seats, and it is a completely different experience.  We were watching the other productions, we felt like we were in this one.

I:  Plus, a LOT more blood shoots inta the audience in Act 1, which made us happy.

M:  We got drenched.

I:  Which made us happier.

M:  Dan Folino, who plays Ash, does not channel Bruce Campbell in his performance.  Bruce is in there, but this is Dan’s Ash.

I:  Dash!

M:  The rest of the cast overacts perfectly.  This is not Lanford Wilson, people.  These characters are big and over the top.  Some people watching might not get that, but the cast does.

I:  Hell, far as we’re concerned, the actin’ in this is better than it is in the original movie.

M:  Which brings us to the biggest reason why this show is so bonerific. The Toronto production was pretty much the same as the New York show, a few minor tweaks, but essentially identical.

I:  Director Scott Spence and the cast have made this their own show.  There’s a few new jokes, including one that works on two levels, the second being so obscure that maybe fifteen people will get it over the entire run.

M:  We did.  We loved.

I:  There’s also a blood gag at the end that is just sweet.

M:  We know the show like the back of our taints and we were surprised throughout.

I:  In fact, we think the show is SO good we emailed George and told him so.

PAUSE

I:  I don’t even think I can say it.

M:  Go adjust your pants.  I’ll do it.

I:  Thanks.

M:  Because of that email, George Reinblatt, the writer of Evil Dead and the man who said we could call ourselves the officially acknowledged unofficial spokeswhores is leaving the Great White North and coming to the Beck Center THIS WEEK-END!  Granted he was thinking about it anyway, but we cemented the deal.  That’s right, not only will he be watching the show Friday and Saturday night, but there will be a talkback with him after both shows.  Even better, Friday’s talkback will be hosted by…wait for it…US!  Yes, indeed, we’re that frakking cool.  So even if you can’t make it this Friday—which you should because we’re going to have a lot of fun--it runs until June 14th.  See it!  Not only is it a great musical, but we guarantee you have never seen anything like it…and that is a good thing.

PAUSE

M:  You can stop adjusting now.

I:  No, I can’t.