[NEohioPAL] The Neohiopal system is in danger of being shut down unless we make changes ... PLEASE READ!

Fred Sternfeld fsternfeld at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:37:02 PDT 2009

Hi Everybody,
Our current Neohiopal service provider, listserve.com, has informed me that
due to the high number of subscribers (currently 5,227) and postings (150 -
200 a week) their infrastructure has slowed to a crawl (our total email
volume per week equals somewhere between half a million to a million) which
has negatively impacted their other 700 "mailman" lists.

We are the biggest user of bandwidth by far.

Unless we make some changes they might cancel the account.  If that happens,
I would have to hunt for a new service that could handle our needs at a
competitive price, which I pay for out of pocket and through your donations.

If the service is cancelled by listserve.com and I can't find another
service right away, there could be a (hopefully, just temporary) service
outage.  None of us want that.

To help reduce our bandwidth usage, here are some things you can do ...

1. Combine all of your postings from your organization into one message per
week - not exceeding 5,000 kb.  So instead of doing one message for each
class, audition or performance - put them in one message.  This will take a
little more organization on all of our parts - I recommend your organization
have one person who posts, and that other departments submit information to
that one person to combine into the single message.  Example of a subject
line - "News from Weathervane - youth classes, auditions for Proof,
Joseph... opening."

2. As always, never send out a message with a graphic or attachment. Those
can be on your websites.

3. Try to make your messages as short as possible, leading the subscribers
to webpages that can have as much information as you would like.

4. If you have multiple email addresses subscribed, reduce your usage to
just one email address.  Or cancel your subscription and just access the
archives at this link: http://mailman.listserve.com/pipermail/neohiopal/.

If any of you have other suggestions for how to improve the situation or if
you know another service I should look into, please send them to me, not to
the list.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Regards,

--
Fred Sternfeld
Neohiopal LTD Owner and Administrator