[NEohioPAL] Cesear's Forum presents Helen Welch's Cabaret Series at Kennedy's, PlayhouseSquare

Greg Cesear cesearsforum at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 19:31:53 PDT 2009

Cesear's Forum to present Helen Welch’s A LITTLE BRIT DIFFERENT Cabaret Series

Cesear's Forum  will present Helen Welch’s  A LITTLE BRIT DIFFERENT: THREE
CABARET CONCERTS at Kennedy's Down Under,  PlayhouseSquare, Cleveland, Ohio,
on consecutive Saturdays; October 3rd, 10th and 17th.  Ms. Welch, a British singer, song-
writer and actress has performed with some of Britain’s finest big bands including Opus
One, Glen Miller Europe and the BBC Big Band.  She appeared on Broadway in the
Lieber and Stoller musical SMOKEY JOE’S CAFÉ; co-wrote and sang two songs for the
film soundtrack of Christmas at Maxwells, in which she made a brief appearance; and
continues performing with large and small ensembles such as The Cleveland Orchestra,
Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, Cleveland Pops, Akron Symphony Orchestra, Columbus Jazz
Orchestra and the Buffalo Symphony.  Ms. Welch first began developing one-woman-
cabaret shows with her late song-writing partner Tim Freebairn and is often seen in local
Cleveland establishments (such as Nighttown and the Bop Stop) honing her craft.  A
LITTLE BRIT DIFFERENT carries on that tradition and allows Ms. Welch to perform
with her trio, featuring Rock Wehrman on piano, George Lee on bass and Roy King on
drums.

Helen Welch’s A LITTLE BRIT DIFFERENT: THREE CABARET CONCERTS,  are
separate themed offerings, permitting the singer to explore her technical versatility,
while revealing the actress within each song and a personal charisma between.

The themes are as follows:

Oct. 3rd:  Divas - the songs they made famous!

Oct. 10th:  L’Chaim - to life! The best of Jewish composers, lyricists and singers!

Oct. 17th:  Through A Film Glass Darkly - songs of love, reflection and movies!

The cabaret concerts may be purchased as a package offering or as separate evenings.
Lyrical, musical evenings are a slight departure for Cesear’s Forum, Cleveland's small
resident  non-profit professional theatre company.  “We believe a short run of a cabaret
that has proven successful as a fund raiser, will benefit our audiences and our company in
the current economy,” according to Board President Linda Regan.  Or, as Christopher
Marlowe’s character Dr. Faustus noted, “Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss…
for heaven be in these lips,” and, we might add, vocal chords.

Helen Welch’s  A LITTLE BRIT DIFFERENT: THREE CABARET CONCERTS,
Saturdays at 8 p.m., Oct. 3rd, 10th and 17th.  Three-performance package at $45 per person; $85 per couple.  Individual tickets $20.  Performances at Kennedy's Down Under,
PlayhouseSquare, 1501 Euclid  Avenue, Cleveland.  Call 216-241-6000 or
www.playhousesquare.org.

###