[NEohioPAL] time to boycott Hollywood

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:00:26 PST 2010

This is all no surprise in a culture so hungry for "reality" TV - an art
form that requires that we actually suppress our imagination. I do most of
my film-going at the Cinematheque, where, despite the occasional dud, I am
at least likely to be challenged in some way. Or else I get DVD of
interesting stuff for home consumption.

If you can find a copy of David Thomson's *Esquire* article, "Who Killed the
Movies?", it's worth a read.

There's still great work in film and theatre being done all over the world -
but cheesy remakes of material that was cheesy to start with, and the
general homogenization of all of it - stage, cinema, and TV - until it ALL
looks the same, and I can't tell the play from the film from the musical
from the TV show from the weather map - that's not it. Not for this citizen,
at least. Why should I consent to be dead before my time?