[NEohioPAL] Autumn at the Chagrin Valley Writers' Workshop

Scott Lax info at scottlax.com
Thu Aug 12 15:03:44 PDT 2010

AUTUMN AT THE CHAGRIN VALLEY WRITERS' WORKSHOP...We're here to help
you be the best writer you can be.

CONTACT US TO REGISTER OR FOR INFORMATION
Chagrin Valley Writers' Workshop c/​o Scott Lax
P.O. Box 23142 • Chagrin Falls, OH • 44023
Tel. 440.954.4039 • Email: info at scottlax.com
www.scottlax.com/events.htm

We've made it easier than ever to plan your workshop schedule and
register. There are three, four-week workshops scheduled for this
year. Price for all workshops is $120 per person for each workshop,
with a 10% discount available to former Scott Lax students, regardless
of where you’ve taken a workshop or class. Descriptions for these
workshops are below.

MANUSCRIPT WORKSHOP A: Tuesdays, 7-9 PM, September 14, 21, 28 and
October 5 (see below for description)

HOW TO TELL A STORY WORKSHOP: Tuesdays, 7-9 PM, October 19 and 26,
November 2 and 9 (see below for description)

MANUSCRIPT WORKSHOP B: Tuesdays, 7-9 PM, November 23 and 30, December
7 and 14 (see below for description)

MANUSCRIPT WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: Do you have a manuscript of fiction
or nonfiction, a stage play or screenplay? Do you feel something is
lacking in it, but you’re not sure what? Or maybe you just want to
hear what others have to say about your work, while at the same time
learning about the art of critiquing others’ work, which helps you
understand your own.

It helps to get “fresh eyes” on your manuscript and to discuss what
works for your colleagues, what doesn’t, and maybe even get new ideas
for your story. At our Tuesday evening manuscript workshops, you can
get that kind of input, help and support. Students are asked to submit
up to 15 pages of a fiction or nonfiction manuscript – a short story,
novel or memoir excerpt, screenplay or stage play. If it’s time for
you to take that next step with your work, this workshop is for you.

During the course of the Workshop, we will also talk about the art and
craft of writing: character development, plot, setting, dialogue and
“thinking like a writer.”

And we're offering something new that’s unique to our Workshop: some
students only have an idea for a story, but not much down on paper
yet. Students, including 2-person writing teams at the Chagrin Valley
Writers’ Workshop, have successfully worked out their stories through
discussion, outlines and brainstorming sessions, and gone on to write
screenplays and books.

Whether you have a finished manuscript, a story-in-progress, or simply
an idea for it, our Workshop could be what you need to jump-start your
writing.

HOW TO TELL A STORY WORKSHOP

Week One - “How to Think Like a Writer.” In it, we’ll talk about
the writing life, and do an exercise that may well change how you see
yourself as a writer. We’ll talk about why you write, how you write,
where you write, when you write and what’s keeping you from writing
more. We will also cover point of view.

Week Two - “Dialogue: The Key to Great Stories." Whether you’re a
fan of “Mad Men,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “The Secret
Life of Bees,” "The Great Gatsby" or any other book, film or play,
it’s likely that you’ve been affected by the dialogue. How do those
writers do it? Scott Lax, who has won awards for a novel of literary
fiction, short stories, essays and features, and has been a source-
writer for a feature film, playwright and writer for Comedy Central
TV, will show you the tricks and tools of great dialogue, and why
it’s the key to capturing readers’ hearts.

Week Three - “Character Development: How to Turn Your Characters Into
Real, Live People.” Regardless of the genre in which you write, your
characters must be believable. No matter how good your writing is, if
your readers don’t care about your characters (even the villains),
you’ve lost them. Scott Lax will teach you how to bring them to life
as people, not simply “characters.”

Week Four - “Setting and Plot: Where Are You And Where Are You
Going?” You can’t put characters in a vacuum. They need exist in
believable settings. And you have to have them moving constantly.
That’s the simple essence of plot and setting. How do you create a
rich environment and make your story move through time? In this class,
Scott Lax will show you how to weave together the elements of
storytelling. When you leave this workshop, you may well have a new
lease on your writing life.
THINGS TO KNOW:

• There is an 8-person limit for the Workshop, so register early.

• Students must be 18 years or older.

• The workshops are held at the beautiful, newly renovated Clubhouse
at Hamlet Village in the Village of Chagrin Falls. You'll receive
directions to the Workshop when you register.

• The Workshop has ample free parking, is on the first floor, is
wheelchair accessible, and is located less than a half mile from
downtown Chagrin Falls in a beautiful, tree-lined setting. On
temperate days, we may hold the Workshop outside, on the patio. Our
new facility has men’s and women’s restrooms, a kitchen, library,
fireplace and comfortable chairs and tables for everyone.

• Critique sessions are in a supportive, constructive environment. We
understand that putting your writing out there is difficult enough, so
you will not be subject to harsh or unkind criticism of your work.